"Accidental discharge"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If no one was hurt who would admit it . I have seen new benchrest shooters with triggers set in ounces when closing the bolt rifle pointing down range ,their finger resting on the trigger , Boom , then that surprise look as the bolt closed . Very few admit to a A H moment.

I have an old Springfield Model 15, single shot, bolt action, manual cock .22 rifle. It has always had a sensitive trigger. Had the bolt rebuilt after the extractor lug finally broke off from a zillion rounds of ammo being run through the gun. I should have it examined, even though I am familiar with the hair trigger. It is the most accurate ( iron sights ) 22 rifle I own.

I had a .12 gauge coach gun for home protection. Two pipes of 00 Buck does make a statement. It was a hammerless model; and the more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable I became. With a loaded hammerless shotgun, the second you snap the breech shut, it's cocked; and only a safety between you and a discharge. Better to have an exposed hammer coach gun, if you wish to keep it loaded ( and of course, out of sight ). Gotta weigh that situation.

In a tense situation, I think I'd rather snap the gun shut to "load" it, rather than mess with two external hammers; fumbling the hammer is always a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back