ABC News report...how does this make sense...

I agree there is no loophole, private sales are private sales. However, once you rent a table and display firearms to the general public and sell them, you are dealing in firearms, not an occaisonal sale to your buddy or cousin.

There is absolutely nothing hindering any show promoter from requiring all sales at the show be run through a NICS check by one or more of the FFL dealers also at the show.

We have club shows up here, open to the public, but only members may purchase. Membership includes a NICS check. Once you get the member badge, you are free to purchase all you want without further checks, unless you purchase from an FFL holder.

Not to mention there is a police presence at every show I've seen, what's preventing the officer from running the checks?

To me, this is an issue promoters and the NRA should be proactive on, not defensive.

Most of the gunshows I've ever been to had lots of LEOs and BATFE agents in attendance. If there are so many unlicensed gun dealers doing business at gunshows, why are they not being arrested? Easy answer, there are not that many private sales taking place at gunshows.

JohnKSa said:
However, if one considers that the intent of the Brady law (or at least the persons who created and lobbied for the Brady law) was to insure that all firearm purchasers undergo a background check then it is quite reasonable to call private purchases a "loophole" since that is a way for a person to purchase a firearm with no background check. In essence, if you don't like the intent of the Brady law (background checks) then you can evade the intent of the statute, contract or obligation by purchasing from a private seller.

Good point, well said. I proposed the idea similarly here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286114 over two years ago.

I didn't frame the question well and you cleaned me up:o(see post #79). Good learning point for me. I have a long memory!;)

Yeah, it's a touchy subject all the way around.

The gun control crowd thinks that private purchases are a loophole since they provide a way to skirt the background check provisions of the Brady Law. But they're smart enough not to make it sound like they're after outlawing all private purchases so they try to make it sound like this is just a gunshow problem.

The general public thinks that there's a gunshow loophole because that's what they've been told.

The pro-gun folks bicker amongst themselves as to whether any background checks are a good idea and when they should or shouldn't be employed. They're irritated with the general public for allowing themselves to be misinformed and mad at the gun control folks for doing the misinforming.

As pointed out on this thread and the other one you reference, there's really no loophole because federal law doesn't attempt to force all buyers to undergo a background check--only those buying from FFLs.

STILL, if one wants to start from a common ground and admit that private purchases are a way to evade background checks, one could concede that there is a loophole of sorts in the strictest sense of the word since one can evade a provision of federal law (background checks for gun purchasers) by buying from a private seller.

HOWEVER, even if one is willing to go that far, labeling the "pseudo-loophole" as being gunshow related is not possible if the truth is of any consequence at all since the "loophole" applies to all non-FFL sales and non-FFL sales can happen virtually anywhere, not just at gunshows as the label implies.

Glenn E. Meyer said:
If you want to argue against these types of report, be sure to be aware of and be able to counter the attractive nuisance argument with something beyond a rant about politics.

Also a good quote. I think very few people want those who are insane or prior violent felons (IMO all felons but I'll stay with the violent ones) to buy guns through legal avenues; gun shows, gun stores orivate sales etc. That I think was the intent (maybe not well stated at the time) of the background check and one reason why I support it as a tool so that honest responsible sellers of firearms might use to make sure that they aren't selling to prohibited folks. I would not want to sell a gun to one such person and altought imperfect the background check would give me a way to do some measure of due diligence prior to a sale of a firearm.

excuse me?

we don't let crazy people be parents, why the heck are we letting them carry guns legally?

verti89,

when you come back to earth let us know what test people have to take before they can be allowed to have children.

JohnKSa said:
STILL, if one wants to start from a common ground and admit that private purchases are a way to evade background checks, one could concede that there is a loophole of sorts in the strictest sense of the word since one can evade a provision of federal law (background checks for gun purchasers) by buying from a private seller.

That is the issue I tried to frame two years ago. You said it better;)

JohnKSa said:
HOWEVER, even if one is willing to go that far, labeling the "pseudo-loophole" as being gunshow related is not possible if the truth is of any consequence at all since the "loophole" applies to all non-FFL sales and non-FFL sales can happen virtually anywhere, not just at gunshows as the label implies.

Actually, John if you listen closely to the Bradys they do in fact say that albeit not as loudly. I have heard Paul Helmke say ad nauseum "No background check, no gun, no excuses" so they are consistent with what you say as to the "loophole" being all private sales and I would be interested in the law they propose as it will I am sure include much more than just background checks at gun shows.

Looks like Bloomberg is starting up the media machine to do just that.

Looks like Bloomberg is starting up the media machine to do just that.
In some ways it's nicer when they lay it all out on the table. Scarier, but neater and easier to get your arms around.

Back