AA#2 Substitute

If you are going to use magnum primers use CCI or Federal magnum primers for maximum effect.
They are the only primer company that I know of that actually uses more primer compound in their magnum primers. So many of the others just use a thicker primer cup to stop burn through from the hot slower burning powders.
I've not seen documentation on Federal primers to this but I have seen Chrony results suggesting it.

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but I have seen documentation over the years that Winchester, Remington and some of the foreign primer companies like Wolf and others do this, just thicken the cup material.
Remington 5 1/2 primers are supposed to be their "magnum duty" primers but I always considered them to be their standard primers because of all their restrictions on their 1 1/2 primers that is in the fine print.

It is documented that CCI does use more primer compound in there magnum primers than they do in there standard primers. No one else will fess up.

Now I don't know if the others change the chemistry in their priming compound for their magnum primers but CCI magnum primers are a sure thing.

Just saying.

I have used #2, #5 and #7 in 9mm, and the #7 worked the best for me. However, recently began using Bullseye due to a donation thereof, and that stuff is great.

Am using hp-38 for my 9mm target loads, which get about 1150 fps with 115 jrn. Only use scale to set the load and occasional check (like every 500 rounds).

I don't load a lot of 9mm, but I do have a lot of experience with a good number of fast propellants: Bullseye, Red Dot, W231/HP38, AA#2, N-310, Nitro 100, and probably a few others.

Of those, N-310 is the cleanest. But it's wicked fast and needs to be used with some caution. Our OP didn't mention what bullet weight he's running. 115's would be a good choice here; as pressures could climb quickly with anything heavier. Same rules apply for the super fast Nitro 100 too. But it doesn't run quite as clean. I have had great luck with both in 38 Special and 45ACP lead target pooper-poppers. Consistent.

My experience with AA#2 is that it does get "grainy" when you turn it down, but it's not sooty. Oddly, it still runs consistent when it's leaving behind its low-pressure chartreuse granules. But unlike our OP, it doesn't bother me.

Bullseye leaves behind a filmy residue no matter how its loaded. W231/HP-38 does too - but only about half as much.

Our OP mentioned something metering like AA#2. Nothing meters better than AA#2. But many meter better than good enough - including all that I mentioned above.

So all-in-all, my answer to his question is "N-310."

It would seem your load is to light and more pressure is required for a complete burn.
I use Accurate #5 for 9x19 Luger with 124gr bullets and it works well.
Is it possible the powder has been corrupted by moisture or humidity?

Last edited:
Try putting a tighter crimp on it so it takes a little more time to burn the powder I always put a crimp on all of my hand guns Good Luck I use AA#2 and Win 231

Back