AA#2 Substitute

Roland Thunder

I currently use Accurate Arms #2 powder for 9mm. I really like the way it meters. The only problem is I seem to get unburnt particles left in the slide and frame of my gun, I have heard of others having this issue also. Can someone suggest a substitute for AA#2 that is fine like AA#2 and meters well like AA#2 and is a fast burning powder?

Win 231/ HP-38 is ideal for 9mm loads- especially 115-125 gr loads.
Its one of the cleanest burning powders when loaded near factory velocity, and meters very well.

you can also use and oldie but a goodie- Bullseye works very well, but leaves a bit of residue behind.

I started using VV N340 several years ago, I haven't had a problem with any form of powder fouling. It is not a ball powder, but the granules are very small so it does meter nicely. I noticed when we were shooting after sundown that it also has no flash in a 4" barreled 9mm.

In the 9mm I have been using the AA#2, HP-38, AA#5 and Ramshot Silhouette. All meter very well and burned clean for me using 115 and 124gr plated bullets.

I gave up using the #5 as it uses the greatest amount of powder of the group and has a great amount of overlap with the HP-38 and the Ramshot.

I have also been using the AA#2, HP-38 and Ramshot in the 380's with very good results.

I don't remember using #2 in 9mm, did use it in 45 ACP. Try #5 and Winchester Autocomp. Auto meters well in my Dillon SDB and just feels good. Kind of hard to describe but loved it the first time I tried it.

Why is this an "issue?" Are you getting so much unburnt powder that it is interfering with function? Are you worried that it will catch fire? Are you trying for a record number of shots without cleaning? Are you loading at the lightest charge that will cycle the action?

My thinking goes along with Mr. Watson. But I "discovered" long ago when working with Unique that light loads of most powders leave some "residue" (ash, soot, unburned kernels, etc.). When I go shooting I take rags with me to wipe my guns and hands if necessary and I can't remember any of my guns that stopped functioning from shooting "dirty" powder...:rolleyes:

Why is this an "issue?" Are you getting so much unburnt powder that it is interfering with function? Are you worried that it will catch fire? Are you trying for a record number of shots without cleaning? Are you loading at the lightest charge that will cycle the action?

it just makes getting the gun clean more tedious. yes, i did consider the possibility of fire. I do load the rounds rather light because it is being used in competition.

it just makes getting the gun clean more tedious. yes, i did consider the possibility of fire. I do load the rounds rather light because it is being used in competition.
Try loading just a little heavier . Once you reach the pressure level AA #2 requires it will burn clean . It meters so well it is a shame to give up on it .

For light clean burning loads ... the king is still Bullseye , it's a flake powder but clean burning .
700X and Red Dot are two other fast burners good for light loads in the 9mm Luger , but neither will flow through a meter like AA #2.
Gary

gwpercle said:
Try loading just a little heavier . Once you reach the pressure level AA #2 requires it will burn clean . It meters so well it is a shame to give up on it .

For light clean burning loads ... the king is still Bullseye , it's a flake powder but clean burning .
700X and Red Dot are two other fast burners good for light loads in the 9mm Luger , but neither will flow through a meter like AA #2.
Gary

I agree, it's a shame to give up on it, I'll probably just make the loads a little stouter. I do have some Bullseye. I use it mostly for 45acp but I may try it for 9mm once the AA#2 is used up

Titegroup works great in my 9mm's and meters well. It's low volume so just be double sure you don't drop a double charge. The only other drawback is that it does seem to run hot, which can be problematic if shooting lead,but accuracy is good.

When I decided I had had enough fun with .45 ACP Major, hardball, and SD, I started reducing the load. When it got comfortable, my usual HP38 had gotten "dirty." Not something I normally care about, but more important, it had gotten erratic with large velocity EV and SD.

So I changed to Bullseye for light loads with more consistent velocity. People call it dirty, too; but as my FLG said, its fouling is light and sooty, not gritty like Ball powder residue.

As I read the OP it started out as
The only problem is I seem to get unburnt particles left in the slide and frame of my gun,
or "dirty" AA #2 and the thread grew to include the "Clean/Dirty" discussion...

A few years ago when the "clean/dirty" discussion came up (again) I would give my opinion; "I don't wear my white tux or my beige kid skin gloves when shooting and every "improved" range I shot at had a restroom with soap and water. I occasionally shot my semi-autos, with my "dirty" powders, as much as 300 rounds per session (I know some will say that they are just getting warmed up with 300 rounds of 45 ACP). My Rugers, RIA, FMK, never faltered/failed to function from being "dirty". I carries some shop towels in my kit to wipe down the outside of mt guns, and when I shoot at an "unimproved" range I take water, paper towels and rags to get some of the GSR off my hands. I clean my guns every time I shoot them, often the same day, or the next and very rarely longer than 2 days." But I won't waste anyone's time with all that...

Nothing wrong with wanting a cleaner shooting powder.
I don't mind soot, but I hate the unburned powder flakes. Unburned HS-6 choked my revolver.
Too bad they pulled the 9mm data for WST.
Bulky, clean shooting and meters great.

HS6 is the only powder I have ever had to coke up a 9mm to the point of malfunction in a single match or practice. It, like most, will probably clean up at maximum but I did not want a maximum load, just power factor.

When the HK P7 gas delay "squeeze cocker" first came out, NRA tried reloads with Bullseye in it, no go, but Unique was fine. I know W231 was good in mine.
Accurate Arms, before Western bought them up, put a disclaimer in their manual that AA2 might not function "some European 9mms."
C.E. Harris wrote that most European 9mm was loaded with 5-7 grains of ball process powder and that faster powders as common in US reloading might not do well.

Back