A2 free floating forearm

Took the gun to the range yesterday. Overall I felt it shot better with the tube. Couldn't do a precise comparison as I had iron sight on. The first thing I noticed was the 4moa lower poi. Then the flyers were gone. Group size without flyers was more or less the same as before though.

Went ahead and reshot a 10-shot ladder. There i could see a distinct node at MV higher than before. The previous ladder test results had much less distinct nodes at lighter charge. I will do a COAL test around that node. Hopefully it will shrink the group a bit.

I'm happy to invest money on the tube and A1 stock. The rifle has become a bit front heavier. But if I put on the lpvo, the CG actually moves back to the same location.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Great , love it when happiness occurs . Now you will get the AR “experts” at the range telling you free floating your barrel will be better . Haha

I actually wouldn't mind trying a free floating mlok handguard, if I can find an used one on calguns for cheap.

-TL

I went to the cross roads of the west gun show in Vegas a couple weeks ago and was told by venders there that they will be coming to Del Mar this year . You will be able to find a Rail there for under $100 . Over the years I've bought a couple there that seem to work just fine , one 12" Key-Mod for $45 . I have one M-Loc now sitting on a shelf waiting for a build haha . It's to long (15" )for anything I need right now . It will likely be used on a 20" presession build that I've wanted to do for quite some time but life keeps getting in the way .

Thanks for the tips. I have found optics planet a very good source. They have a few below $70. I'm in no hurry so I will wait for their "blazin' deal". In the meantime, I'm going to drill holes on the tube.

-TL

Went to the range to do the COAL test. This time the rifle has lpvo. Got the group size down to 1moa consistently by varying COAL. The group clearly consists of 2 subgroups, each is of course sub-moa. Labrador data indicates two distinct peaks in MV distribution, about 1.5% apart. The subgroups seem to correspond to the different MVs. So gun may be able to do sub-moa if the MV is more consistent. Yeah!

I'm loading with 55gr fmjbt blemished bullets. Guess it may be the cause. Price to pay for going cheap. I'm going to weight sort the bullets.

-TL

Whenever I find two accuracy nodes, here’s how I determine which one I’ll use. I usually work up rifle loads in .3 gr increments so I’ll start at .3gr less and end at .3gr more than the node then work the load in .1gr increments. Whichever node shows the least deviation over the widest load variation is the one I go with.

I do charge ladder in steps of 1% and COAL test in steps of 0.002-0.003". This time I fired 8 shots of the same combination. 2 subgroups. Higher MV goes higher left, and lower MV lower right. MV difference is 1-1.5%.

1moa is not too shabby. I may just live with it as is.

-TL

Back