A-Zoom Snap Caps -- problem

Dummies can work here too, but my experience has been that over time, the bullets set back and can become an issue and even a danger, depending on the gun.

I have to wonder what experience makes a dummy round a danger, "depending on the gun?"

The "problem" with snap caps is that they are NOT dummy ammunition, and are being used that way. So, of course, they don't hold up well.

Also properly made dummy ammo will not suffer bullet "setback". (properly made ammo won't, either, but that's another discussion)

The "problem" with snap caps is that they are NOT dummy ammunition, and are being used that way. So, of course, they don't hold up well.
The A Zooms Ive used, have held up better than any of the dummies Ive used. The anodizing may wear, and they may get ugly, but they still work for a good long time, and usually a lot longer than the dummies ever did.

The old red plastic are another issue, and I agree, you dont get much use out of them.

Also properly made dummy ammo will not suffer bullet "setback". (properly made ammo won't, either, but that's another discussion)
Loaded ammo isnt usually chambered over and over and doesnt usually have the issue. Not that I havent seen factory ammo setback on the first chambering either.

Dummies on the other hand, are chambered and ejected constantly, and its been my experience, even with heavily crimped bullets, they will over time, loosen up and set back in the case, and in some instances the bullet will move forward out of the case. Ive had that happen in an M1A while dry firing, and on ejection, the case came out minus the bullet, and the bullet was lightly set in the throat. Hence my comment "depending on the gun".

Azooms are training rounds, not snap caps. I have them in 3 shotgun bore sizes and several pistol cartridges - mine are smooth and I have had no issues with mine.

Perhaps the OP got a bad batch?

Azooms are training rounds, not snap caps.

a-zoom-9mm-luger-precision-snap-caps-5-pack_14063_500.jpg

"A-Zoom - Precision Snap Caps" - http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/home/

As I posted earlier I don't use snap caps.

I've handloaded my own 9mm dummy rounds but they've never held up. In my experience the bullet falls out of the case with extensive use. As a result I don't trust handloaded dummy cartridges, especially for training to clear stoppages when I'm also shooting live ammo, which is why I use ST Pro Action Safety Dummy Cartridges.

Dummy ammo runs the gamut from rounds put together just like live ammo, but with inert components (or no powder & primer) to solid metal machined to spec live ammo dimensions.

I've handloaded my own 9mm dummy rounds but they've never held up. In my experience the bullet falls out of the case with extensive use.

I don't know where you draw the line at "extensive use", but if constructed properly for extensive use, you shouldn't have that problem. And by properly, I mean taking steps not usually done when making live ammo. Things like canneluring the case beneath the bullet, and sealing the bullet in the case with an adhesive should get you well into the thousands of cycles before it becomes unserviceable.

Setback is something being discussed a lot these days, it seems to be more common than it used to be. Why is open for discussion, but I know for a fact that it does not have to happen. I know of a case where a fellow used the same magazine of ammo for his "defense" gun for over 20 years! The rounds had been cycled through the action so much that the nickel cases had multiple brass stripes down the length of the case bodies. The bullets NEVER moved. (yes, it was checked and measured). That fellow did finally decide to shoot them up, and surprise, surprise, they fed and fired flawlessly.

Setback doesn't have to happen. The fact that it does, and apparently so often, just means that the ammo was not made as well as it could have been made.

I ONLY use these in revolvers.
Semis aren't meant to handle the extra heavy weight in their action (especially the Snap Cap shotgun shells, they won't even cycle through my pumps!)
Snap Caps can do your gun damage.
revolvers ONLY!

Back