A word from one of our "friends"

Brett,

See my post dated June 10, 1999 01:28 AM.

So far no one has answered the question. Does anyone here know?

I believe the answer to that question will tell us how informed he really is.
smile.gif

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited June 12, 1999).]

To John and all:

That is not exactly true under the original context of the forming of our nation... remember that the Constitution was the rules of allowable conduct by the newly formed central government, and the Bills of Rights was the enumeration of the unalienable rights that pre-existed the government. Therefore they truly pre-exist any government... state or federal.

Mr Buckley conveniently forgets that it is there so that that the people retain the same or greater power ( in numbers) than the government , such that the government cannot take away the peoples rights !!!

He also is a member of the CFR... Rockefeller pet organization... along with the Federal Reserve and the U.N.

The UN treaty is their mechanism of circumventing the Constitution, as only treaties supercede the Constitution... so we must repeal the UN Treaty and or modifiy it such that it doesnot abbrogate our Bill of Rights .

Ban together fellow Frogs , the water is getting too hot !

Henry Bowman for President !!!

------------------
What part of "INFRINGED" don't they understand?

Menos,

If I understand what you are saying, you are saying that the BoR applies to the federal and the state governments, and the Constitution outlines the limitations of powere for the federal government only. Because those powers not granted to the federal goverment, then fall upon the states or the People.

Have I got it straight?

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

BUT if I remember correctly I think that the states were forced to have laws that did not conflict with the Bill of Rights. I think after the Civil War during recostruction with the passage of the 14th? Amendment the states were forced to give blacks the right to vote. Hence Federal law superceded State law and the blacks got to vote. WHY DOES THIS NOT APPLY TO THE SECOND?
Later
Daren

Ok, prior to the passage of the 14th amendment, the Bill of Rights only applied to the federal government. (Of course, the states had their own bills of Rights, most of which also guaranteed the right to keep and bear arms, and still do.) It was the specific intent of Congress in drafting the 14th amendment to extend the rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, ESPECIALLY the right to keep and bear arms, to the states. The problem was that the Supreme court of that time was a racist institution, and refused to enforce the 14th amendment as it's authors intended it to be enforced. This situation continued until the composition of the Court could be gradually changed over a period of many years. As this was done, the Court "incorporated" the Bill of Rights, gradually applying one, then another, of the amendments to the states. Our problem being that about the same time the Court abandoned it's racism, it started to be overtaken by anti-gun ideology. So the Second amendment never did get "incorporated", despite the explicit intent of the authors of the 14th amendment.

Menos, the relevant language in article 6 reads, "This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in Persuance thereof; And all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; And the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or the laws of any State to the Contrary not withstanding."

As I understand this, the order or precidence, from lowest to highest, is: State laws are trumphed by State Constitutions, which are trumphed by federal laws, which are trumphed by treaties, which are all trumphed by the federal Constitution. It would make precious little sense to write a Constitution which required state aproval to amend, but which could be overridden by treaties the states COULDN'T veto!

Back