A well regulated Militia...

A militia is a good idea. If nothing else to sit around and BS. Help during times of bad weather or national emergency and known to your neighbors. A good way to promote good citizenship.
Being racist or anything else would not be indorsed by the state.

Last edited:
Actually the Neighborhood Watch is sponsored by the National Sheriffs association and usually works in association with a law enforcment agency. Its heritage can be traced back to the night watches which were groups appointed by a council or community group.

Am I wrong? I assumed that it was a American Citizens Obligation to participate as part of the Militia, if actions were required!

There for, I am Militia!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia

Read This Part Well!

The original meaning of the Latin word is "military activity", or, since the ancient Romans had the same people fight crime or respond to disasters, "defense activity". In the idiom of English during the 18th century, the same word would often be used for an activity and for those who engage in it, so "militia" meant both defense activity and those who engage in it, whether as individuals or in concert with others. In later times the term has come to be used mainly to refer to armed groups, but it would be a mistake to use it that way in discussions of the concept in the U.S. Constitution

I like the idea of a neighborhood militia and might join one if its purpose were to defend and support the neighborhood in the event that the various government regulated entities could not.

In the case of an event where it was clear that citizens were on their own, it’d be nice to have some confidence that when my neighbor showed up with gun in hand, he was there to discuss the defense and possible pooling of our collective survival resources, rather than wondering if he was merely intent on supplementing his own.

While I do not read 2A as granting or protecting any right for a citizen’s militia, I wouldn’t be surprised if some states had laws expressly prohibiting entities resembling militias. Anyone know of states that do?

Does the law define paramilitary training? Seems to me that it would be hard to ban paramilitary training without banning some of the basic skills practiced by hunters such as navigation and target practice.

The key word used in the statute unlawful use. I would think it would depend on the "mission" of the militia. If it's formed as a "survivalist" type group to take over if they feel the govt is out of control. I think a case could easily be made that it's an illegal group. If it were a neighborhood watch to help the govt it would be fine.

790.29 paramilitary training; teaching or participation prohibited.--

(1) This act shall be known and may be cited as the "State Antiparamilitary Training Act."

(2) As used in this section, the term "civil disorder" means a public disturbance involving acts of violence by an assemblage of three or more persons, which disturbance causes an immediate danger of, or results in, damage or injury to the property or person of any other individual within the United States.

(3)(a) Whoever teaches or demonstrates to any other person the use, application, or making of any firearm, destructive device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, knowing or having reason to know or intending that the same will be unlawfully employed for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder within the United States, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(b) Whoever assembles with one or more persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with, or being instructed in the use of any firearm, destructive device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, intending to unlawfully employ the same for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder within the United States, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(4) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to prohibit any act of a law enforcement officer which is performed in connection with the lawful performance of his or her official duties or to prohibit the training or teaching of the use of weapons to be used for hunting, recreation, competition, self-defense or the protection of one's person or property, or other lawful use.

I personally like the idea.

And militias are GREAT... The thing is a few wacked-out groups have given them a bad name.

The largest majority are not skinhead, nazi sympathizers.

When I turn old enough I might actually try to form up something locally. I personally believe that with proper training, and if noone got ticked that it would be a good thing to have around.

Localized Militias (County/town/neighborhood/neighbors within 5 miles) would be good if a Katrina ever happened... There are enough scumbags out there that some organization might be needed... And take our county for instance. 1 Sheriff+3 Deputies+1 city police officer+ POSSIBLY 1 Highway patrolman........ Not a lot for a county this large. AND it will take them probably a 1/2 hour to respond if they do.

I eddited not! That read the way I believe! Would you step up and stand for your county if the time required it?????

Are You Militia!!!!

Would you be a DUCK OUT! Or a stand and fight?

What would you do in a Pinch?

A Well Regulated Malitia! I take it as self controlled. "WE THE PEOPLE" Not Governmental controlled.

If the paramiltary training wasn't hurting anyone, wouldn't it (and other militias) be protected by the 1A right to peacably asemble....

What is the problem here?

People can try to redefine words, they can try to rewrite history, they can call a rifle of normal and mechanical functionalities a bad thing!

The Language and writing in this law could include say a NRA Safety Cource?

(b) Whoever assembles with one or more persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with, or being instructed in the use of any firearm, destructive device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, intending to unlawfully employ the same for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder within the United States, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Very true, I don't believe it's been used much. It was enacted after the Cuban incidents with Cubans training to take over the Cuban govt and using FL as their training base.

Interesting thread.

Frankly I think anything that resembled a “Militia” would be viewed with extreme scrutiny/suspicion by the government. You can bet the ATF would take an interest. I think any such organized group engaging in the training of tactics and firearms would be yanking the tiger’s tail. Talk about getting yourself on the radar screen of a slew of different agencies. I think this would do it.

Once you are in the legal system your “rights” only go as far as your “money” goes. All you have to do is a little research on Ruby Ridge and a few other incidents to see what the “effective” sum of your rights are.

The other side of this notion is the idea of just anyone organizing militias. Just because people on this board aspire to higher standards and ideals doesn’t mean everyone does. I don’t see how any government can allow the unsupervised or unregulated establishment of paramilitary groups within its borders. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Let’s face it, if you and I can form a militia then the Muslims down at the local Mosque can form a militia and your local KKK chapter and so on and so on.

No, I think the whole idea is so fraught with hazards and liabilities as to make it a non starter.

Still, if you are concerned with a scenario like what we witnessed in New Orleans during Katrina there should be some plan to deal with situations of social breakdown or civil unrest. I know there are marksmanship clubs and other shooting clubs, even government sponsored clubs or organizations but they don’t practice tactics and maneuvers. Once you go down that path and once your organization gets big enough to mean anything I think you will start to attract trouble.

If the 2nd Amendment is to be interpreted as being the right for individuals to be protected against violence and oppression by government or criminals, then the right to training and tactics to do so effectively and on equal footing with anything that comes their way should be equally protected as having firearms themselves.

Someone needs to ask George Washington's opinion of the Militia. He was not impressed.

Even if you had a local militia of 50 men, all very good marksmen with their arms, does not mean you have an effective fighting force. Especially against well trained and well equipped regular forces. Understanding and training in tactics, mobility, communications and military doctrine are just as important (and sometimes more important) than shooting skills.

With that said, gathering to discuss the above subjects in relation to militia activities that would be performed in the aftermath of a disaster or during some kind of riot or insurrection, should be legal.

This could NOT be used against an NRA or other legitimate firearms instruction course. Not without some perversion of meaning by the prosecuting attorney (and we know that never happens, right? :rolleyes:)

While IANAL and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night, if a local "neighborhood" militia includes, say Iraq war vets who describes the materials and construction of IEDs for the purposes of identification and/or neutralizing them, it would be legal. As long as the group's purpose is lawful (support the Constitution, maintain order, suppress unlawful riots, etc.) then the statutes above would not apply. This will vary from state to state due to different wording of the laws, however.

I though we already had a militia, the National Guard. I woundln't get my hopes up about starting a militia. I you want to go into a militia, I think you should try the National Guard.

Back