" A rifleman went to war"

I received as a gift recently McBride's book, "A Rifleman Went to War". It's an old copy, dated 1939. I had originally read the book about 20 yrs ago, and in reading it again, am surprised what I didn't absorb, or recall, from the first time. * * *

Agree with all the comments. I've read it twice. I seem to recall Jeff Cooper once wrote about ARWTW being "required reading" for anyone aspiring to marksmanship greatness with a rifle.

McBride gives you a lot of old-school insight and, while not the best prose stylist, he had a creative and inquisitive mind. He was certainly better educated than most soldiers of his generation, and IIRC, his father was a justice on the Supreme Court of Indiana.

FWIW, I thought some of the later sections of the book, where he was more reflective, revealed a touch of psychological despondency that we might associate with severe depression, or maybe, since he was a combat vet, with intermittent bouts of PTSD.

That said, you're particular book may be especially valuable if it's an early HB, or even a first edition.

Enjoy ... :)

Last edited:
old

Well, I looked, and the only data I can see is Copyright, December 1935, (oops, I originally stated 1939) by Small -Arms Technical Publishing Company, Marines, Onslow County , North Carolina. U.S.A

I suspect it is indeed a first edition hard back. With dust cover.

Pretty slick retirement gift for a shooter.

Capt. Mc Bride reminds me of the "Old Guy" (with the 1,000yd stare) sitting at the end of the bar, down at the VFW Hall...

Last edited:
That's right, George was in the Army. Not being military, I missed that early in the book, since he was talking about Marines shooting,etc.

He made lots of comments about rifles and gear used in the tropical islands that were corrected somewhat by the Viet Nam war. His comments about equipment weight, the fact that Thompson's weren't as effective in the jungle as they were in Europe. The need for semi-auto rifles, but lighter ones; light machine guns and other gear made lots of sense.

The new grenade launchers may have been the result of input from many soldiers like him. He discussed the use of improved grenades and mortars being much-needed, especially in jungle fighting.

Back