" A rifleman went to war"

bamaranger

I received as a gift recently McBride's book, "A Rifleman Went to War". Its an old copy, dated 1939. I had originally read the book about 20 yrs ago, and in reading it again, am surprised what I didn't absorb, or recall, from the first time.

McBride touches on a lot of material, indirect machine barrage, sniping, patrol, his allies, the enemy. Its a good read, and I highly recommend it. And if you've not read it in a while, you might be surprised what you pick up the second time around. I was.

I ordered a copy after hearing it mentioned on a History Channel show.

Fun, interesting read to be sure.

I love his opinion on the 9mm vs .45 ACP debate.

Inbetween conflicts the U.S Military would disband the Sniper program and upto and including Vietnam and would have to bring out this old book to brush up on where to start at bringing them back out . Since Vietnam thoes that operate in this fields have made sure to keep it going .

Since Vietnam thoes that operate in this fields have made sure to keep it going .

You can think the Army Marksmanship Unit for this. They keep their sniper school going creating cadre for the Marine, Seal, Army, FBI, Secret Service, and local police department sniper programs.

Another great book, (I forgot the exact name) Army Marksmanship Unit, the first 50 years.

Yes McBride's "A Rifleman Went to War' is a great book, I got it a long time ago, read it several times, I guess its time to dig it out and read it again.

It ain't no good writing, but it's a great book, and the real deal.

Try The Recollections of Rifleman Harris too. He was in the Napoleonic Wars' 95th Rifles (when the world used smoothbore muskets) -- similar feel to the two in many ways.

checking

Bamawife is checking now on Kindle now for "Emma Gees" till a real copy surfaces.

Advises at this time she got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kraigwy

The Great (silly) Debate

To me, he was more concerned about the "Revolver vs Auto" question.

I love his opinion on the 9mm vs .45 ACP debate.

I would agree, I have only needed my 1911a1 4 times, and each time it worked. Can't ask for anything more...

Last edited:
I just got a copy for my nook as well, and actually had to do a CO mandated book report on it. (Go figure. I love reading, and actually enjoyed the book and doing the report, but half of my platoon is walking around like they just got told to eat a puppy)

Anyway, I loved the book, and loved how relevant it is today. Note those chapters on sniping are some the very first doctrines ever written on the subject and are hugely fascinating. I also love his opinion on pistols in war- you may not ever need one, but if you do you'll be damn glad you had one.

I'm working my way through "A Rifleman Went to War". It's interesting, but I but had difficulty putting down "Shots Fired in Anger", by George, which is about a Marine at Guadalcanal. I've gone through the meat of the book and am skimming through the long, detailed Japanese weapons descriptions at the end. It's a good bathroom reader.

There wasn't as much battle description in it, but the degree of detail about the patrols and other features were interesting.

Inbetween conflicts the U.S Military would disband the Sniper program and upto and including Vietnam and would have to bring out this old book to brush up on where to start at bringing them back out . Since Vietnam thoes that operate in this fields have made sure to keep it going.

That tradition of raising marksmen and then disbanding them starts with the American Revolution itself. The first unit raised by Congress, The First Pennsylvania, was composed of riflemen. They served only one year and then were disbanded when their term of service expired. Washington then asked Daniel Morgan to raise an ad-hoc 500 strong rifle regiment. They earned fame at Saratoga and afterward a couple of companies were dispatched to the Wyoming Valley to fight marauding Indians. Then they too were disbanded. Washington then raised another ad-hoc unit of riflemen under Maj. Parr, but they stayed in NY and didn't fight at Yorktown.

After the Revolution was won, there were no rifle units until the First Regiment of Rifles was raised in time for the War of 1812. The unit that fought at Tippecanoe weren't even armed with rifles (shortage of 1803 Rifles). During the war, over three more rifle regiments were raised, but only the first survived the post-war cut and then they too were disbanded.

There was a brief period of mounted rifles, but they were converted to cavalry. During the Civil War, many civilian/volunteer rifle units were taken into Federal Service. The most famous was Berdan's First and Second United States Sharp Shooters. Despite their feats, both were disbanded before the Civil War ended (depletion in #s and three years term of service expired). Post-war, while sharpshooters proved their value, they were not seen as necessary for the frontier army that the US Army reverted to. The fast moving fights on the plains were seen unfavorable to having them.

There were no sharpshooter units that fought in the Spanish American War, but known marksmen were called for to take out the Spanish sharpshooters who were sniping stretcher bearers. During WW I and WW II and Korea, the US was caught unprepared for sniping. Our first WW I sniping manuals were based on British ones.

Today the sniper has a permanent place in our armed forces' TOE. They are a force multiplier.

The above was my drawn from my book on the subject.

Back