A reloading experiment

If you shoot 5 to 6 three-shot groups with a given cartridge and rifle, you're probably gonna see a 4X spread in their sizes. 10 shot groups are better. I prefer 20.

How much does our shooting skills effect the group sizes?

I give credit to tool and die maker Ferris Pindell of Sierra Bullets in the 1950's for convincing them (and top ranked benchrest shooters) to full length size their fired rimless bottle neck cases setting shoulders back a couple thousandths. Case necks end up better centered on case shoulders, the part of the case that centers the neck and bullet in the barrel when fired. Mr. Pindell is one of the "P's" in the PPC family of cartridges.
Long ago I experimented with 3,5 and 10 shot groups.

My first "ladders" are 5 shot groups. As the loads are refined,I finally settled on an average of 10 five shot groups as my final test of a load or rifle.

I thoroughly clean the bore between groups, and I fire a single "fouling" round into the berm before shooting each group.

My results are similar to yours as far as standard primers and neck sizing go.

The exception is belted magnums. Usuaslly, but not always, groups in my belted magnums benefit from Remington 9 1/2 M magnum primers.

Nothing prevents a stool shooter from putting his record shots anywhere inside the 6 foot square target backing surrounding his small target paper it typically goes in. Some long range benchrest systems shoot groups 2 or more feet extreme spread.

The conditions test shots and match shots are fired in may be different but the objectives are the same. Artificial rifle support ain't allowed in position matches. How big would groups be with benchrest stuff shot hand held without artificial support?

Good marksmen shooting prone highpower can keep their point of aim inside a half MOA area. Seldom do all 15 or 20 record shots go inside 2 MOA at 1000 yards. I once had 17 out of 20 do that with a Garand.

Last edited:
Rule book sections applicable:

Sec. 3. Equipment and Ammunition...................................................... 8
Sec. 4. Targets ....................................................................................... 14
Sec. 5. Positions .................................................................................... 16

Highpower match results in:

http://crci.org/MatchResults/tabid/2530/Default.aspx

My name is on the Colorado state long range match trophy for 1992.

Look at each years results and count the "any" and "Palma" rifle scores of 200 points (decimal fractions are hits in the X ring) wherein all record shots were inside 20.154 inches at 1000 yards with the 20" 10 ring and 10" X ring.

Best highpower results can be seen in:

https://competitions.nra.org/results-and-records/national-records/

Last edited:
Bart, I pulled this up.

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=edit&tab=results&match=18074

Seem like your allowed unlimited sighting shoots to start with. So if your shooting 800/900/1000yds you get on target before record shots.
Unlimited sighters are allowed in some matches when stated in the rules. Other matches may allow 2 sighters for each stage fired. Some matches don't allow sighters at all.

It's mentioned in that rule book and match programs sent to competitors.

Most highpower competitors know they will be on target in or close to the center with their first shot; they got zeros before going to the match like benchresters usually do. If they think not, they can ask the scorekeeper to watch the sighter's bullet trace or impact then report its place relative to the target. Or put a collimator in the muzzle, set the sight on boresight then elevate the sight the normal come up for target range.

Last edited:
Bart, The match Regs I posted included Camp Perry Palma rifle 800,900,1000yd and that match you shoot.

I also found Palma rifle you can have lens.

Front Sight)—A lens and/or filter may be used in conjunction with the front and/or rear sight.(Rear Sight)— A corrective lens may be placed inside the rear sight hood on service rifles conforming to Rule 3.1. No part of the lens or method of installing the lens may protrude outside the rear sight hood.

Bart, The match Regs I posted included Camp Perry Palma rifle 800,900,1000yd and that match you shoot.

I also found Palma rifle you can have lens.

Front Sight)—A lens and/or filter may be used in conjunction with the front and/or rear sight.(Rear Sight)— A corrective lens may be placed inside the rear sight hood on service rifles conforming to Rule 3.1. No part of the lens or method of installing the lens may protrude outside the rear sight hood.
Response in new thread:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6758114#post6758114

Back