A question about training courses

They say when the SHTF, and its for real, you can expect to lose at least 50% of your skill that you have in a relaxed situation (for example, on the range, when you think you don't need more training).

When you do take a class, and they start working in things like movement, speed reloads, tactical reloads, shooting from cover, issuing verbal commands, and responding to unexpected situations, you will learn that you need more training.

If you've never shot competitively, IDPA or similar, that is a great way to find out how much you need training. Getting those sights lined up when the pressure's on is a lot harder than you'd think.

Basically, if you haven't had any training, you suck, and you need training if you want to be at all proficient in any kind of real world situation.

My teenage nephew who has never had any tactical, SD training was attacked by a boar one morning... he had a empty rifle slung over his back and was able to put (2) rounds into the boar which ended the event. Later he stated that he never remembered loading. His level of training was basic safe operation of a firearm and hunting with his Dad.

I am 100% in support of training.. but the idea that people are somehow bumbling goofs under stress without specialized operator training, is just not reasonable.

FireForged said:
My teenage nephew who has never had any tactical, SD training was attacked by a boar one morning... he had a empty rifle slung over his back and was able to put (2) rounds into the boar which ended the event. Later he stated that he never remembered loading. His level of training was basic safe operation of a firearm and hunting with his Dad....
All that shows is that he was able to deal with the particular problem he faced with the particular skills and abilities he had.

FireForged said:
...the idea that people are somehow bumbling goofs under stress without specialized operator training, is just not reasonable.
Under stress, one doesn't "rise to the occasion." One defaults to his level of training. Confronted with a problem, one will use whatever skills he has available. If he's good enough, that will work. But if his skills are not up to the problem at hand, things won't turn out well.

The thing is that you can't know ahead of time what your problem, if you have one, will be; and so you can't know ahead of time what you're going to need to be able to do to solve your problem. And therefore, the greater your skill and the more you can do (i. e., the better trained and practiced you are), the luckier you'll be.

training classes

Since you live in Pennsylvania, taking several 3-day weekends over a few months will probably be much easier to arrange than taking an entire week off plus travel time to Arizona to go to Gunsite.

Taking classes locally, provided that the instructors are good, will provide more "bang for the buck". And a Gunsite 250 can still be a goal for the future . . .

Who are the instructors, if you don't mind saying?

recommended reading

http://gunsite.com/store/page7.html

Buy the Gunsite TACTICAL PISTOL HANDBOOK and also THE MODERN TECHNIQUE OF THE PISTOL by Greg Morrison.

And search on Amazon.com or Alibris for a copy of COOPER ON HANDGUNS (the 1974 edition is longer and better, the 1979 edition is OK)

If you plan to go to Gunsite in the future, that will get you started. Practice the pistol drills in the Tactical Pistol Handbook in preparation.

dawg23 said:
...Does Gunsite require students to shoot from the Weaver stance ?? ...
A little more on this question.

I noticed that my friend, 9mmepiphany answered the question over on THR. He recently took the 250 class at Gunsite, so his information on that class is more current than mine. On the Weaver, he wrote here:
...I really liked that even though they teach shooting from the Weaver (and it isn't like a lot of other places I've seen teach it), they don't insist that you shoot from it...they do ask you to give it a chance. I went there to see how they taught it and to give it an honest try as a defensive technique...it took about 3 days to really get a feel for it....

Anyone interested in Gunsite might want to read his entire post.

Be Careful

Many firearms instructors will tell you-beware of those that travel, grab a brief case, go a couple hours from home and you are suddenly and "Expert"

I am in no way directing this statement at any of the names previously mentioned, but there are some traveling shows with zero street cred, zero real skill, collecting cash because they are a "new name" in town.

Multiple instructors, multiple options for technique, different ideas, we all continue to learn from one another. Whatever you choose, training and trigger time shouldn't hurt! Enjoy

selecting training classes

I've been going to firearms training classes since 1980.

Most years I've gone to one class. Some years I go to two or three, depending upon schedule and geographical location and my cash flow.

One criteria I have always used is, has the instructor published articles in gun magazines, or written a book, and does their point of view make sense?

Not all of the instructors I have trained with were widely published, but it is one thing that I look at.

Another option is to research on the various firearms related forums (The firing line, lightfighter, getoffthex, etc.) and read after action reports from class participants. AARs can alert you to classes you might want to attend and also tell you what to expect, what gear to bring and what skills to practice ahead of time.

Back