A Pair of 32-20 Revolvers

I load 3.8 grs of hp 38 under a pb 115 gr bullet for my circa '31 OP. I believe it would be ok in an oldie D frame. This load is very accurate in my post 2000 94 cl. I use the same load under a 90 gr hb wadcutter. I have also shot a gc 115gr using my rifle load of 1680 in the OP. I'm told the load produces 25,000 cup. All these loads produce excellent accuracy in both shooters. The first time I fired the Marlin at 100yds with the 1680 load it gave me 2.25" ten shot group with 7 going into 1.25". I love my 32/20s.

Howdy Agaibn

Breaking the rules a little bit here, but here it is my new Winchester Model 1892, made in 1911. Octagon barrel to boot. I am a bit suspicious of the bright blue barrel and magazine tube vs almost no finish on the receiver. The dealer kept telling me that was because it was carried a lot and the blue was worn off the receiver by somebody's hand. I don't buy it, I think somebody replaced the barrel and magazine at some point. You can see how there is much less finish on the magazine hanger then the magazine tube too. Same with the butt plate, magazine cap, and fore end cap. The wood has been refinished at some point too.

Regardless, it is a real tack driver, capable of shooting much better than my poor eyesight will allow, and I am very pleased with it. The bore looks like it just left the factory yesterday. I took it to the range last Saturday for the first time and put most of a box of Ultramax 32-20 Cowboy loads through it. Sighted it in on paper first. Did not need to move the sights at all, dead nuts at 25 yards. Then I kicked a few soup cans around at the fifty yard berm. Lots of fun, but with my poor eyesight I could barely see the cans. I may put a tang sight on it, just for my old eyes, or I may leave it as it is.

Model%201892%201911%2032-20%2002_zpsjnwdx0zf.jpg

Model%201892%201911%2032-20%2001_zpsiqlumioq.jpg

Sweet and thrifty for when lead and black get down to ounces and you still need another deer for the smokehouse. In an old Guns magazine Gene Autry is quoted saying the 32/20 was his favorite Colt, for the handling I seem to remember.

Word of caution. I don't know if it's me and my reloading techniques, but I've found that I have problems trying to load .32-20 with Trail Boss.

TB is one of my all time favorite powders, but I have had multiple squibs and light loads with TB in the .32-20.

I've tried varying my crimp pressure and the primers I use, but I've still had duds and have had to drive bullets out of the bore.
It must be a .32 caliber thing.
Several other posters and I have encountered unexpected issues with Trail Boss in .327 Federal and .32 H&R, as well.

For me, it was erratic velocities and inexplicable pressure spikes.

Back