A Noob question on New Rifle

Is the scope bore-sighted? After cleaning the rifle, as others have said, I suggest shooting initially at 50 yards to make sure you are on paper, then move out to 100 yards to fine tune your point of impact. ( Preferably from a steady rest). Once you are sighted in, then you can practice from field positions, prone, kneeling, sitting and standing. Keep practicing until you can reliably keep 3 shots on a pie plate at whatever range you are shooting at. I think it will take more than a couple of boxes of ammo to get there, even with legendary Tikka accuracy.
Hope you can find someone who is experienced to go with you, as that would be very helpful.

My choice for outside rust protection is ordinary Johnson's paste wax. The stuff in the yellow can that will last you most of your life unless you have a tremendous number of guns. Then it might last half your life. I started using it in the late '60's after getting tired of finding rust after depending on oil for protection. I use it on wood and metal and it works.

I'm a huge fan of Tikkas and now all of my centerfire bolt actions are Tikkas. I own a Tikka T3 Hunter in 300 WM. It's a very nice rifle. The only thing you would really have to do is clean the rifle per the instructions, mount a scope, and zero the scope. Main thing is try to keep the barrel from heating up too much. That is how you can damage your rifle's throat. Make sure you allow enough time between shot strings to keep the barrel cool. Tough to do this time of year. This is especially a good reason why its handy to bring a 22 rifle with you so you can keep plinking while your big rifle is cooling down. Most importantly be safe and have fun. Don't point your rifle at other people (I see newbies do this all the time at the range). Keep it pointed down range and keep the action open when not in use.

Back