A new Remington 1858

"I bought 500 .380 balls, for the 51, which needs them. Haven't calipered the .380s to see how bad they are. "

I believe 0000 buckshot is .380". Have you tried that? I imagine the size would be more consistent.

"Either gonna have to get a loading stand or a cylinder loader. Took over 3 hours to shoot."

Shooting muzzleloaders demands a different, more relaxed state of mind. They're for leisurely shooting. The loading is part of the shooting. It's a zen thing.:)

Schip,

Hell no, I don't mind the time. Had a ball. Beats the hell out of puttin 15 into one 'o them beasts and snapping them all off in 2 2/3 seconds.

I do some of the cartridge stuff, too, but not to see how fast I can get the hell off the range.

Gotta go back real soon, bought a Kel Tec .380, skinny, light little piece, can even sit on it, and when I stand up it doesn't make my pants fall down. Gotta try it, so will take at least 3 C&Bs for the next trip, the 2 .44s and the new .36 Rem. Bought it after my shoot the other day.

Kel Tec is supposed to be 7.2 ounce pistol, empty, less felt recoil than heavier blowback pistols. Hope so, the former carry piece had 15, at least, pound single action pull, cock it and a ton to fire. This thing has about 5 pounds, at most , double action pull. Just got to see if it goes off when I want it to.. be happy, too, if it goes where I point it.

Now, I GOT to admit, I would like to be able to reload these things, I take at least 2 with me, per shoot, a little more quickly. A reloading stand would help. A reloader, the device that you charge and press the ball in off the pistol, would be probably a better option, Colt you slip on the reloaded cyl, Rem, you roll in the reloaded cyl, cap and shoot. AND, I do not see any danger in capping off the pistol. SO, slip on, or roll in, a fully shootable cyl.

If a chamber is going to fire, better it is out of the pistol than in.

Dunno which I am gonna try. One or the other. Got to admit, hammer seating, the other day, did have one fire into the ground, down range. Put a nice hole in the ground about 10 feet in front of me. Very impressive. Safe, but still impressive. Think my thumb slipped, not the seating pressure.

Not too many here gonna admit to that, are there? I think most of us have, but most of us won't say so.

Cheers,

George

Schip,

I had hunted for bigger shot, 000 was the biggest I found. Is there actually a 4 ought shot that is approx .380? If so, will ask my local shop to get me a bag. 25 pounds for about 20 bucks, plus tax, would be a huge bargain.

You know anybody who sells 4 ought?

Cheers,

George

gmatov, my apologies. I was passing on info I had read, without checking to see if it was practical. I spent ten minutes googling a source for 0000 buck, and it appears in was more common "back in the day" when ten-gauge was not uncommon. If you find a source, and it works, let us know (I'm looking to get a '51 Navy eventually).

BTW, it seems the size of 0000 can range between .375 and .380 (from some of the pages I hit.)

Sorry if I led you down a primrose path.

George, 00 Buck is only .320 or .323" what is used in .31 cal/.315" ball guns like my 1848 Colt Baby Dragoon 5 shot.. 0000 buck is smaller yet.

Smoke,
I ain't arguin', but, if this copy paste works, you'll see it's the other way 'round.

Shot Size Table*
LEAD SHOT

Shot number diameter (inches) diameter (mm) approx no. of
pellets in 1 oz.
____________|_____________________|________________|_________________

000 BUCK | .36 | 9.14 | 6.2

00 BUCK | .33 | 8.38 | 8

0 BUCK | .32 | 8.13 | 9

1 BUCK | .30 | 7.62 | 11

2 BUCK | .27 | 6.86 | 15

3 BUCK | .25 | 6.35 | 19

4 BUCK | .24 | 6.10 | 21

http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html

Go there and there's a good graphic, too.

Nope, seems to be no 4 ought to be had. Single ought should be good in the .31's, though. What are they supposed to be, .315 ball?

As far as asking for a refund, shipping was 7.70, ship 'em back, another 7.70, I'm out 15.40, and not even the lead to melt.

The .380 mike closer to size, they'll shoot OK. The .451 still seal well, just harder to shave, and if I do buy or make a loader, won't have the hard on the hand with the lever problem. Should be the last I buy, anyhow.

Cheers,

George

Edit,
That chart looks good in the typing of the post, went to hell when it was posted. They usually do, at least for me.

Back