a new argument

ChaperallCat

im always being told that a a full power 357 , bb load 19a, is going to have the same level of recoil as a standard 44 mag load, wwb 240 grain jsp, in the same gun .

now the gun is a taurus 66 4 inch versus a taurus 44 4 inch. only difference is the 44 has a ported barrel.

now the 357 is supposed to be"loud loud" in anything loaded above medium power level. 44 is always loud unless you load id down to 44spcl +p.

when you take that 44spcl +p and use it in a ported barrel is the muzzle blast not going to be increased to 'loud loud" as all gunwriters claim?

ive got bad ears, and have noise issues.

Both are too loud to fire without hearing protection. Rather than split hairs over which gun is the louder of loud guns, I'd work on improving my hearing protection.

If I had to guess though, I'd guess the ported barrel would be louder by the way.

So you "got" bad ears now. Invest in some quality hearing protection that may still allow you to hear people talk. Then worry about the cartridge you buy. Not enough difference between the two that matters.

A 22lr is loud enough to hurt your hearing and will overtime!! A 38+p will do damage so what do you think will happen with any "standard" 357mag load much a BB load.

My old hand 180gr hc hunting loads atleast matched the BB 19a loads + 50fps from a 8" DW 15-2 and weighted 40oz. Not sure what you will use it for but what I found recovery between shots was slower than say a 1150 to 1200fps load and for hunting hogs or bear the slower load worked just as well as in breaking both shoulders with a ideal shot on large hogs. 250 lb class. Black bears are not easy hard to do in.

How same size revolvers feel when shooting these two cartidges will be different . The heavier bullets used in the 44mags will push back more and the 357 will snap up more in the same frame sized handgun. Both will get your attention and do in your hearing.

What are you going to use ether revolver for? Trail use?? Short of grizzly buy a glock 20 and a aftermarket 6" hunter barrel and use the hotter BB or DT loads.

I don't believe that a 357 loaded up will have the same recoil as a standard 44 mag load, if the gun/frame sizes are the same. For example, a S&W model 27 and 29 both being N frame. No one can make a blanket statement for such comparisons. Part of the equation is the FPS, part of it will be the grains of the bullet, part of it the weight of the gun, size of the gun, and even the perception of the shooter. None of that data was given, so its just more "hey, I talk like I know stuff" BS.

If the guns were different size frames, the 357 could easily have more recoil. For example, a Ruger LCR vs a Ruger Super redhawk.

Anyone who says such things that a full power 357 (no other info) will equal the recoil of a standard 44 mag (no other info) in a "same" frame size gun, doesn't have an opinion worth considering. Chances are, if the guy isn't specific in what he says, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

For the noise, the ported guns are nearly always louder. The gas escapes from multiple areas at the muzzle on a ported gun, increasing the noise.

Recoil is a simple math calculation involving the weight of the gun, the velocity and the mass of the ejecta - which is powder and bullet

the formula for recoil energy is simply E=1/2 MV Squared, with "M" being mass of the gun and "V" being the recoil velocity. In other words, you simply square the velocity of recoil, which is easily calculated when we know the weight of the bullet and powder charge and its velocity when exiting from the muzzle. Multiply by the weight of the gun and divide by twice the acceleration of gravity, and you get the recoil energy in foot pounds
(from Outdoor Life)

In my experience-

.357 has a sharper note to it than big bores. Double up on plugs and muffs in any event. Protect your hearing- you won't miss it until it's gone.

Recoil will be different due to a number of factors- weight, the load you choose to shoot, etc. The geometry of the individual gun has an influence as well- I like the Ruger Bisley grip frame for controlling recoil.

Consider working on shooting without the noise. Dry fire. Get a Daisy 717 and shoot in your garage.

Not sure what's being asked but I'll chime in anyway.

I have a 6 inch Model 29 and a 6 inch Model 27. Dern near the same gun but one is 357, one is 44 mag.

I know for a fact the 44 kicks more then the 357, using magnum rounds in both.

Regardless of what you stuff it with, no 357 is going to kick as hard as a full house 44 Mag 240 from the same size gun.

Bottom line is............

The bottom line here is: all guns recoil and all guns are loud, some more than others, wear hearing protection or suffer the consequences.

ive been investigating buffalo bore load 19a, everyone knows BB is buffalo bore.... 180 grain cast slug at 1400 fps, factory says 738 fpe at the muzzle.

ive seen a few user reviews of said cartridge saying it had the same kick as an identical frame gun in 44 mag using standard factory 240 jsp. so i asked that. sure i didnt post a factory load number for that winchester white box 240 grain jsp, but still even mr skelton agrees that the standard 44 magnum is a 240 grain at 11-1200 fps

Is "loud" your fancy...or is "energy" you fancy? Is it for a grizzly bear, an attacker, or a paper target?

Then, is it for the "Wow! I'm impressed with the recoil", or "Wow! I'm impressed with the boom?"

+P.. ++P., etc. is placing a bigger load in a firearm that has its limits.

Why push limits to a working firearm to expect a "bigger boom" or "bigger destruction" on the target but for the thrill?

Just discussion points. Calibers can be selected according to one needs. It's not the size of the firearm but the delivery of the punch for the need.

Cat,

I shoot those out of my Ruger Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel. I probably get around 1500 fps...and it feels like it. They kick pretty good, even in that big, heavy monster. More than or equal to a standard .44 Mag? I would say the BB kicks a little more than a standard .44 Mag round...but the only .44 Magnums I've fired have been large frame guns which gives sort of an apples to oranges comparison.

If you want to push the envelope a little more, grab some of the Double Tap 200 gr. rounds...those are a handful.

ive been investigating buffalo bore load 19a, everyone knows BB is buffalo bore.... 180 grain cast slug at 1400 fps, factory says 738 fpe at the muzzle.

Sorry, but I didn't have any idea what you were talking about either, but then, I lost my secret decoder ring a long time ago.

Wear your ear protection, or the only sound you'll have to worry about will be the ringing in your earss.

ChaperallCat posted
everyone knows BB is buffalo bore
Apparently everyone DOESN'T know what "BB" is, including myself. The only thing more annoying than people using obscure abbreviations is people who act like you're stupid for not knowing what those abbreviations mean.

Back