A Lone Long Gun to Travel the Country

Which long gun?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think before suggesting any of the options we need to know what kind of motorcycle rig you have.

I don't know how many of the guys above ride or ride long distances but I do. Space becomes very limited. If you had a sidecar a long rifle could work. I wouldn't have an optic on anything because it's going to get bumped and banged around. Possibly break or be off a lot.

If you're riding on a normal touring style bike I doubt you will find a gun that easily fits in the saddlebags that isn't a pistol. That means your only option left is somehow strapped to the bike and if you leave it anywhere it could be someone elses gun.

A lever action in 30-30 will be legal in most states (all I believe,) able to take down deer, and light enough and small enough to be manageable while transporting on a motorcycle. Really though if you are planning on packing it with you on a motorcycle trip, find someway to secure it to the bike or it will be very stealable at rest stops, lunch breaks, etc.

Lever action. 16-18" barrel. Straight-grip stock (more compact).

Easy answer is .30-30; but .35 Rem, .444 Marlin, .45-70, and a few other options would be suitable as well.

My own preference would be for a pre-2008 Marlin 336/444, turned into a take-down by a reputable shop. The result is Marlin reliability and parts availability, all of which will fit into a case under 9" wide, 3" thick, and 19.5" long (shorter if the barrel is under 18").

The stigma of some of the military type rifles could cause problems.A Win 92 0r Marlin type lever carbine would do it all.A Puma or Rossi might be OK.Caliber? Your preference.I might choose .44 mag..357 would work.

An offbeat option...I think SARCO still has SMLE barreled actions cheap.Your own version of a compact "jungle carbine" would be about the same as any other long gun.10 rds of 303 has been known to be effective.

There is a compact Howa bbl'd action available at Brownell's.6.5 Grendle is an option.I think it holds 10.

I might go with a handgun,myself..44 or 10 mm.It would take a deer.

Or,forget the deer,and go with a 10-22.

Lever action 357 mag with a long eye relief scout scope.
Not too big or long. Light. High capacity. Can also shoot 38s. A properly loaded 357 can get up to anemic 30-30 levels from a long gun, so very versatile caliber.

I'd want a long gun to be a takedown version, whether rifle or shotgun. Inconspicuous while traveling. Avoid hassle. Avoid "incitement to theft".

Ok, Easy Rider, I'll take a swing at this...

So, travelling the country by motorcycle will mean you will be very limited in terms of size and weight of what you can bring with you. There is also the issue of what people see on your bike and how they will react, not to mention all the stupid laws you will need to deal with as you cross state lines.

For these reasons, I'd recommend leaving the rifle or shotgun at home. I would suggest you carry a 44 Magnum Revolver with a 4" Barrel. With the 44 Revolver and suitable ammunition, you can take just about any game in NA, and loaded properly with 44 Specials, it is very effective for self protection. The revolver is also very easy to conceal, with the right holster, and the combination with ammo, won't weigh you down.

That's my 2 cents, YMMV...

I'm still trying to figure out the logistics.

How are you going to transport the deer on your motorcycle?
Then what are you going to do with the meat while traveling the country on a motorcycle?

deerstrappedtomotorcycle.jpg

My Winchester 16.25 inch Angel Eject Trapper .44 magnum (it has NO safety to!)

Should fit well in a backpack, 'PC' enough, and take any kind of critter that needs taking and defend well against two or four legged predators.

And if not that, my Marlin Texan 336 carbine made in 67. Skinner sight and chambered for 30/30.

Deaf

For those concerned about the logistics of moving processed venison around the country there is no need. If I camp out for a couple of days somewhere I can smoke and jerk the venison thereby reducing the size and weight to manageable and eliminating the need to keep it cold. Lots of other options too, that was just my thinking.

My first thought was a Remington 7400 Carbine in 243. And its hard to argue with the Lever action 30-30 recommendations.

Which is weird because this is the first time I would recommend either of these rifles as an ideal answer! I have a nice Marlin 30-30 and I never shoot it. My bolts and AR-15 do the same things, only better. Not to start an argument, that's just my observation. I know a lot of people love them, which is perfectly good with me.

Interesting question!

With defensive use as a criteria, I would take a lever action rifle. If that's not a major consideration considering your normal carry handgun, that would leave it more open to something like a bolt action .308.

Have you considered a T/C Encore pistol or a break action rifle that can be easily separated? Packing it in and out may be a bigger priority for you than the fast second shot.

I've done quite a bit of long-term, long distance m/c overlanding and, regardless of legalities, space and weight are a premium.

So, in the interests of meeting the needs of comfortable travel as well as discretion and compliance to the law (having a gun strapped across the back is O.C. and a gun case is pretty obvious) I would go for a single-shot, folding 16g.

It can be light and pack down small enough to fit diagonally in a large top-box, it affords a variety of projectiles from shot to slugs to even flares, so fowl, small-game or even the white-tail flung over the pillion seat not to mention adequate, if not superior, SD capabilities.

If not restricted to long-guns, then I'd say 5.5" .44Mag with well-matched hand-loads for game and factory .44Spl for SD.

Last edited:
Back