A little talk about triggers

Ok, saw this thread and I have been mulling over it most of the day. Fair warning I may rock the boat a little bit.

To my understanding the premise is that, if group sizes get better when going to a lighter trigger, it is because a lack in fundamentals on the part of the shooter. Basically if the shooter had good fundamentals both groups should have been the same size.

To me this begs the question, what are "fundamentals?"

It also asks the question, "Why are fundamental needed?"

To me and my understanding the word in the context in which is it being used is as a skill or technique used while shooting. The goal being to steady the weapon while aiming to aid in hitting the target with a small group dispersion.

So, lest go down this rabbit trail.

Why are fundamentals needed? To my understanding precision shooters try to find ways, techniques, and tools, to limit the input of the shooter into the gun. Because the interaction between the shooter and the gun can impart additional variables into the shot.

The goal of fundamentals is to regulate the shooters body and reduce the input into the firearm.

For example, in this case, in relation to a trigger as a single variable. lets say 2 identical triggers with the exception of pull weight. say 5oz vs 5lb. With the 5lb trigger the shooter is imparting 5lb of force which is being imparted into the rifle. the shooter must then use "fundamentals" to counter the forces being imparted through the trigger to steady the rifle. with a 5oz trigger significantly less force and shooter input is being imparted into the rifle and this less compensation and or "technique" is needed.

In short fundamentals are a coping mechanism to counter deficiencies in the firearm, or reduce human error being imparted into the rifle.

So the question becomes. Does one focus on building and maintaining a perishable skills, AKA "fundamentals". Or does one invest in better equipment, in this case a trigger, reducing the need for "fundamentals" AKA coping mechanisms.

To me the over all goal is accuracy, hitting the intended target with as small of a group dispersion as possible.

Both methods help to achieve the goal of accuracy. However improved equipment is not a perishable skill... I would recommend the lighter trigger so that one can focus on other aspects of "fundamentals", reducing variables.

To me this begs the question, what are "fundamentals?"
Holding the gun steady while operating the trigger. That includes:
1. Not yanking the trigger. (Operating the trigger in a controlled fashion--which can be done more than one way.)
2. Not moving the gun to one side or the other when operating the trigger. (Driving the trigger straight back into the gun rather than getting sideways pressure on the trigger due to improper finger placement.)
3. Not anticipating the shot and inadvertently moving the gun reflexively.
4. Following through to insure that intended post-shot movement doesn't inadvertently begin before the shot breaks.
With the 5lb trigger the shooter is imparting 5lb of force which is being imparted into the rifle. the shooter must then use "fundamentals" to counter the forces being imparted through the trigger to steady the rifle. with a 5oz trigger significantly less force and shooter input is being imparted into the rifle and this less compensation and or "technique" is needed.
I have guns with DA triggers that measure around 15lbs. I have match airguns with triggers that are lighter than 1lbs. I've managed to shoot very well with the heavy DA triggers when using proper trigger technique. I've managed to throw shots off target with the match airguns when I don't use proper trigger technique.
I would recommend the lighter trigger so that one can focus on other aspects of "fundamentals", reducing variables.
If a person doesn't get trigger technique mastered, a lighter trigger can help reduce the impact of some of the problems that will result, but it can't eliminate them. If the goal is really "small of a group dispersion as possible" then sooner or later the shooter will have to deal with the trigger issues or they won't ever really be able to achieve the goal.

With the 5lb trigger the shooter is imparting 5lb of force which is being imparted into the rifle.

Nope. If the 5 pounds of force imparted to the trigger transfers to the gun, then the shooter does not have the fundamentals down, not even close.

Why are fundamentals needed? To my understanding precision shooters try to find ways, techniques, and tools, to limit the input of the shooter into the gun. Because the interaction between the shooter and the gun can impart additional variables into the shot.

The goal of fundamentals is to regulate the shooters body and reduce the input into the firearm.

At the rush of over simplifying things. Fundamentals are how to grip the rifle, use the rest, control the shooter input so that pulling the trigger results in zero trigger bounce. Now, there are a set of best practices that vary slightly person to person, instructor to instructor.

IMO, my best success has been doing the same things over and over while trying to understand what I’m doing that makes me successful.

Now, the real test of fundamentals are lighter rifles with heavier triggers. You have to hold on, but without influencing the aim during trigger break.

Back