A little bit of eye candy for you folks

Scorch, a question on the 700 stock, if you don't mind.

Where a stock has the grain running vertically, as the one in your picture does, is it less resistant to bending stresses? Is it more likely to break?

Where a stock has the grain running vertically, as the one in your picture does, is it less resistant to bending stresses? Is it more likely to break?
The grain is actually running the length of the stock, like on any other properly selected stock blank.

But... Fiddleback Maple is called such, due to the wavy lines in the grain. They produce light and dark stripes, due to differences in light reflection.

You might also see it referred to as "Tiger Stripe Maple" or "Curly Maple".

The grain still runs in the normal direction, but the grain structure has unique reflective properties.

Another (expensive) variation of Maple is Quilted Maple, which generally blows everyone's mind when they see it.

As Frankenmauser pointed out, the grain runs lengthwise (from the butt to the forend). This is typical of rifle stocks and is done for shear strength (the amount of force that would be required to break the stock into two pieces). The figure is wavy grain, a natural characteristic of the wood in high-stress areas of the tree that makes it less likely to break across the grain (actually kind of like corrugated cardboard. Ever try to tear corrugated?). The figure appears when you cut a straight line through the wavy grain. The figure can sometimes cause issues with warping, but typically only if it is uneven from one side of the stock to the other.

Figured woods are often called soundwoods, because their structure makes them vibrate much more consistently and longer than straight grained wood, and these types of wood are often used in musical instruments. Figured wood is somewhat rare, I have read estimates that less than 3% of hardwood lumber exhibits figure, although in maple it is quite common. Typically, the more figure a piece of wood has, the more you pay for it. In addition to fiddleback maple, there is curly, pillow/quilted, and "flame maple" (an extreme combination of wavy, curly, and pillow) that looks like flames (duh).

Class is over.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder’s fork, and blind-worm’s sting,
Lizard’s leg, and owlet’s wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

I used to use virgin's blood, but it's not available any more.

OK, not really. I mixed it myself to match an old High Wall I restocked. The Winchester guys seem to like it. The original factory "Winchester Red" is highly variable, ranging from yellowish orange to almost wine color, and the stains available on the market are woefully inadequate. Mine is pretty red with just a touch of orange to it, but since I mix it myself I can make it any shade you like.

Sure wish I had the kind of talent that Scorch does. I suppose a fair bit can be learned, but a person must also have a whole lot of natural talent, to use the "learned" part well enough to make stocks that look so good.

Scorch

Wondering what type / brand scope that is on the low wall? Fecker Lyman Unertl? What power? I like the vintage scopes.

Thats some good restoration work. Although I don't like the concept of a restoration, some people do it better than others and you all do good work.

Wondering what type / brand scope that is on the low wall? Fecker Lyman Unertl? What power? I like the vintage scopes.
Someone else asked a similar question. I don't know, the customer mounted the sights and took the photo after I had already returned the rifle to him. I used the photo because it is better than the ones I take.
Although I don't like the concept of a restoration, some people do it better than others and you all do good work.
Well, don't fret about it too much. It was a basket case gun, came to us as a bunch of parts in a box, many missing or damaged. I made the stock to match photos of original Low Walls. John Taylor at Taylor Machine, a true craftsman and a real gunsmith, rebuilt the action and made several parts from scratch to the original pattern. Some of his work is so good that serious collectors have him make parts for old guns and claim they cannot tell them from originals.

Well, don't fret about it too much. It was a basket case gun, came to us as a bunch of parts in a box, many missing or damaged. I made the stock to match photos of original Low Walls. John Taylor at Taylor Machine, a true craftsman and a real gunsmith, rebuilt the action and made several parts from scratch to the original pattern. Some of his work is so good that serious collectors have him make parts for old guns and claim they cannot tell them from originals.

Oh so it was brought back from the grave? Thats really cool. Given new life. I was referring to how some people take an older gun, say 80% with worn wood and pay to have it restored. Usually one can tell that they had that work done anyways. I'd rather have the gun with character, but in this case, completed rebuilding a parts gun is pretty neat. A new beginning...

Scorch

I am grateful that Scorch, who is gifted with a rare talent and shares his knowledge freely and graciously, posts here and educates the other "98%" of us.

I sent him a question, offline, that I was too embarrassed to ask online and he promptly gave me a great solution in an easy-to-understand manner. I am pleased to be able to thank him publicly, here.

Wish I had found this forum years ago. And thanks again, Scorch.

Back