A Lesson in Recoil

When I shoot ladders I space the shots very far apart in time--and I'm looking mostly for velocity and SD numbers, not as much concerned about tiny groups.

The brake on my 308 tamed to a 223 and the blast goes to the sides , shooting from a bench you have to be thoughtful of the shooters to the right and left of you . I shoot with a group of friends and shoot in turns not to screw up a tight group. Years back shooting at a indoor range I was shooting a S&W mod.29 with a 4" barrel , shooting full loads of 44mag. This shooter cam over and asked what was I shooting and could he have a shot with it . I said sure , you need ear protection , he insisted he didn't so I said OK . BOOM and the look on his face . He even thanked me and walked out of the room slowly.

I purchased a .338 Ruger Magnum (MKII) with the all weather Zytel (aka boat paddle/skeleton) stock.
Yeah, no thanks. I owned a Ruger 77 Mk II in 243 with the boat paddle stock, and it was unpleasant to shoot. I fired one in 7mm Rem Mag and thought it was trying to remove my arm. The Zytel stocks transmit all of the recoil, add that to their lightweight and it's just undesirable.

When I purchased the .338 mag in the early 1990’s, I was living on the Oregon Coast and after spending YEARS hunting in the wet and the rain I loved the durability of the all stainless construction coupled with the Zytel stock. It also looked otherworldly - like something out of a movie; there were no other rifles around (whereI was) that looked like it. So I took it home, I put a scope on it, took it outside, and put a round through it.

After searching for and then finding my right shoulder laying in the weeds about 20 feet behind me, I went back into the house for a snort of Jim Beam and a thick coat before firing another round. I love the rifle because it shoots better than any other rifle I own but, man, if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a different stock.

Not to get too off topic and with the sincere hope of not giving the impression I am over-posting, Reynolds357’s comment re cold bore zero brings the following to mind and I ask all of you for some guidance. My 45-70 is a solid shooter up to about 150 yards but the first round is always 4 to 6 inches high - every time. The first round is the flier every time.

I thought my father was exaggerating when he told me about the first shot (i.e. when the rifle was cold) being high every time. Now that it’s mine, I discovered that he was right. And its not us - he was a hard charging Marine and I’ve been shooting sunce not ling after I started walking. So, what’s going on and is there anything I can do to fix this?

Your input and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Aim low on the first shot, or sight it in for the cold bore and aim high for follow up shots. Or depending on what type of sights you have just learn two different sight pictures to compensate accordingly. I use three different sight pictures with the factory iron sights on my Henry BBS .41 mag, this particular buckhorn sight design works very well for me this way. My first sight picture is bead in notch with a six o’clock hold, then bead in notch with combat hold, then third is bead above notch combat hold. With this rifle these picture work at 50,75,and 100 yds fairly well.

not to mention weight. 3030 lever gun. Very light. Most came with metal or hard plastic recoil "pad".

308 heavier, and most came with some sort of rubber pad.

So yes 3030 would kick more.

Weight is the main factor. A light 300 mag will punish you more than a heavy 338 mag

All my center fire rifles put the first shot from a clean cold barrel 1/3 to 2/3 MOA low.

Rimfire 22 rifles put first shot from clean barrels near 2 MOA high..

None of them changed point of impact as their barrels got hot.

Though I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes in general, the one I have on a Savage Model 116, chambered in .338 Magnum, can be turned on or off with the flick of the wrist. When shooting the rifle from the bench, I double up on ear protection and use the brake to help "distribute" the recoil more "progressively".
When hunting with any rifle or shotgun, I seldom hear the shot or feel the recoil when shooting at game. For this reason, the brake is turned "off" on the Model 116 when hunting-though I still use ear protection when practical.

Back