A LE goes on a shooting spree?

It seems to me that giving a young man such a position without some sort of pysche eval is an indictment in and of itself. It will be interesting to see if there were any "hints" that something wasn't quite right with this young man. He surely had a supervisor and/or mentor of some sort, people in such positions need to be better trained at picking up on those hints. Unless I am mistaken that was the conclusion, or at least the essence of it, that the VT people came to after investigating what had led up to those shootings.

FALPhil wrote:
So tell me again why should trust someone whose primary job is to apprehend persons wanted by the authorities after the crime has been committed?

Maybe apprehending them before the crime is committed may violate their constitutional rights?:p

I must post a correction. It now appears that while the rifleman *hit* Peterson somewhere, he did not take him down; and that Peterson had 3 apparent self-inflicted head wounds from a handgun- likely his own.

(CNN) -- A sheriff's deputy who killed six young people at a house party in Crandon, Wisconsin, apparently died after shooting himself three times in the head with a .40-caliber pistol, the state attorney general said.

Initial reports that 20-year-old Tyler Peterson was killed by a police sniper's bullet were apparently incorrect, though it appears the sniper may have shot Peterson in the arm, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said.

Although the final forensic determination could take several weeks, the attorney general said that Peterson had his personal .40-caliber Glock when police found him. The three gunshots to the head came from a .40-caliber.

"The three gunshot wounds to the head included two nonfatal rounds with entry points below the chin, and one fatal shot that entered Peterson through the right side of the head," Van Hollen said.

"Each of the three head shots were fired while the gun was in contact with his skin, or extremely close to the skin," he said. "These three head wounds are consistent with self-inflicted wounds, and not consistent with long-range rifle fire."

The fourth gunshot wound, Van Hollen said, struck Peterson in the left bicep and appeared to have been fired from a rifle "at some distance."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/10/wisconsin.shooting/index.html

I guess this just goes to show that COPs are people too. No better and no worse then the rest of us. This is why I don't favor special favors for LEO's where firearms are conserned. If THEY can carry in certain places then "Joe Citizen" with his CCW should be able to carry there as well.
Also, I HATE it when they call it a "spree". A Spree is something fun, like a Shopping Spree or a Spending Spree. This was a RAMPAGE plain and simple.

Anyone else feel we won't hear much more about this since the school shooting happened today. After all, if you're in the anti-gun business (which most media is) which is going to help you more, a LEO going on a shooting spree or a kid doing it in a school?

The media isn't an antigun business, they are a for profit business and will promote whatever story will make them the most money.

The media isn't an antigun business, they are a for profit business and will promote whatever story will make them the most money.

I've never seen a for profit media entity promote a pro-gun stance, but I have seen them promote an anti-gun stance. No matter the motivation, they are in the anti-gun business, whether because of the owners'/board of directors' deeply held convictions or for profit.

Back