A knock on the door in the night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said even I don't open my door without having a pistol in my hand (generally behind my leg).
Must make it difficult to get packages delivered to the front door.
Maybe not a good idea, especially at Christmas time. :)
But seriously, it's tacticool if there's a window overlooking the front door.
Or maybe a mirror mounted outside that shows who's there.
Lots of ways to avoid scaring the paper boy on his collection rounds.

I never even come to the door if someone knocks and I don't expect them, daytime or otherwise. People I want to visit with just don't show up unannounced. Salesman or crook - they all get the same treatment. If the knock is at night, then I get my gun and have a way of peeking out of one of the windows without being noticed.

I never even come to the door if someone knocks and I don't expect them, daytime or otherwise. People I want to visit with just don't show up unannounced. Salesman or crook - they all get the same treatment. If the knock is at night, then I get my gun and have a way of peeking out of one of the windows without being noticed.

That won't work in the deep mountains in hillbilly country. We didn't have telephones until well after most of the country had them. It was a matter of availability and sometimes cost. We had no way of warning anyone that we were coming and just showed up at friends and relatives homes. We were always welcomed and they always insisted on feeding us. We developed our habits early and we sometimes still show up unannounced. Most of us have never met a stranger and we answer the door to everyone. It's just a southern mountain thing we do.

BearFL, Junior Member, Join Date: October 27, 2016, Posts: 2, wrote:

A knock on the door in the night...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never been one.....

I see where you started 2 threads with your first 2 posts.

Could you introduce yourself please?

I see where you started 2 threads with your first 2 posts.

And, as of this writing, nothing since.

The whole idea of being alarmed enough to call 911 and then going out to pick up a pizza a few minutes later, before LEOs even arrived, sounded a little odd to begin with.

I don't feel obligated to open a door to anyone who knocks, and I think a call to 911 for a suspected prowler is a reasonable response. I'm a little unsure what to make of the details of the posted story, though.

Most of us have never met a stranger and we answer the door to everyone. It's just a southern mountain thing we do.

and some people never wear seatbelts. Its not really a problem until you find yourself in a bad spot.

"Most of us have never met a stranger and we answer the door to everyone. It's just a southern mountain thing we do."

and some people never wear seatbelts. Its not really a problem until you find yourself in a bad spot.

Where I live, it would be more like not wearing a seat belt in a parking lot. When I left the mountains and went to the city, I acted very differently when I was a city slicker. I reverted to my hillbilly self when I moved back to the mountains. I bought two houses in the mountains and the owners had go look for the key and didn't know if they worked.

Time to call this one.

We have explained the risks of opening the door, opening the door with a gun, and the social contexts which some folks think should be for everyone.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back