a guy at the range was shooting illegal SBRs

I personally don't think such things as SBR's and suppressors should fall in the category of the NFA. Come to think of it I don't think there should be an NFA registry altogether, but since I don't have an iron in this fire I think what I think amounts to very little. I'll just say that I'd fall into the category of minding my own business, which in itself is an art form that needs more artists.

There are an awful lot of people in this thread who seem to be telling the OP that he should have just minded his own business. But if you read his first post you'll see that he wrote that he simply complimented the guy on his SBRs, he never mentioned anything about asking the guy any prying questions about his tax stamps or anything.

I hardly think that if a person merely compliments someone's guns he deserves a bunch of people telling him to mind his own business.

There are an awful lot of people in this thread who seem to be telling the OP that he should have just minded his own business. But if you read his first post you'll see that he wrote that he simply complimented the guy on his SBRs, he never mentioned anything about asking the guy any prying questions about his tax stamps or anything.

I hardly think that if a person merely compliments someone's guns he deserves a bunch of people telling him to mind his own business.
I don't see it that way--he posts on a public forum a thread that is titled with the word "illegal" and confirms that the pistol(s) were used illegally as he observed--why would he be posting this if he was not looking for advice/feedback as to what he should or should not have done?

stagpanther said:
I don't see it that way--he posts on a public forum a thread that is titled with the word "illegal" and confirms that the pistol(s) were used illegally as he observed--why would he be posting this if he was not looking for advice/feedback as to what he should or should not have done?
My guess is he was simply surprised that someone would be so cavalier about breaking federal law and decided to share his experience here. He never once asked what he should have done or implied that he should have said something more.

In the situation the OP describes, he minded his business very well: He simply complimented someone on their SBRs, and after being told they were illegal, he appears to have said nothing else. His direct quote from the post was, "I didn't really know what to say". That's pretty much the perfect example of minding your own business.

As I reread the OP, this seems more likely the situation.

An AR with a "KAK or SIG stock" looks very much like an SBR but is a fully legal "pistol"(as long as you don't fire it with the back end of the forearm support touching your shoulder).

So misprision of a felony is not a crime or is only a misdemeanor? Maybe, but that is not what the U.S. Code says. It may not often (or ever) be prosecuted, but three years as Uncle's guest sounds pretty serious.

18 U.S. Code § 4 - Misprision of felony

Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 684; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(G), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Jim

I think some of us who are very law-abiding would be absolutely astounded at the firearms that are possessed currently that are very much in violation of Federal Law. Machine guns and silencers aside, I think there are a number of Ar "pistol" SBRs, pistols with vertical foregrips, sawed off shotguns, etc. sitting in closets and gun safes everywhere. Not to mention semi autos built in violation of 922(r). Yet convictions seem to be pretty rare, confined largely to people who are doing something else stupid at the time. Not that I would be anything other than excruciatingly law abiding because I can't afford to be otherwise, but there is a much larger group of people with these firearms than I think many of us would acknowledge.

Working at a big box retail store, I have had a shocking number of felonies admitted to me. One guy wanted to buy our single shot .410 and cut the barrel down to 6" for snakes. When I told him it had to be 18", he pulled out a pocket tape measure (didn't see that coming), pointed to the bare 18" mark and indicated that was the line he was going to cut it to if that's what he had to tell me to sell it to him. I've also had admitted felons try to ask me if their brother can buy their gun for them, people ask me for manual repeating .22 rifles and subsonic ammo for illegal night hunting (which they indicated they knew was illegal), and once a person ordered a gun online and had it sent to us and then filled out the form indicating that he had in fact received a dishonorable discharge. That person never called us to see how he could have the gun sent back to the retailer or get his money back, so it sat in the safe for months until I moved on to another job.

As to the OP, it is possible he had a folding brace installed which is definitely pushing the line but in no way illegal.

James I have never seen that before. Thank you, I learned something new.

I wonder if it would be upheld as constitutional were it ever actually prosecuted. Common !aw has long held that there is no duty to act to prevent or report a crime. If you take one overt step, no matter how miniscule, to participate or help cover it up then that is different. The "no duty to act or report" has been described as "merely present" in case briefs.

Careful with that "knowledge of felony" stuff. This is the same line of reasoning that can lead to "no-knock" home invasions by the authorities (with uncertain and potentially lethal outcomes) and can cross the line for not allowing due process IMO. Actions have consequences, and in my totally inexpert opinion you are NOT expected to rise to the occasion to "validate" a potentially lethal weapon's status or the use(r) thereof--that is pure foolishness IMO. LE will probably treat a potential armed threat with a heightened sense towards potential escalation to lethal violence.

Arguably, that knowledge does not become "knowable" as potential evidence until you personally interact and gather information. Another reason why I would advise mind your own beeswax unless you are CERTAIN that a dangerous or criminal act is in progress.

Do what you like, I'm done with this thread. :(

It's not just "knowledge" but you have to actively "conceal" the crime too. In other words, just being a witness, even an expert witness, isn't enough to get you in trouble.

Come to think of it I don't think there should be an NFA registry altogether,
I totally agree! This length of barrel, this overall length?
A Felon, can not own a firearm. Period.

When I lived in Canada, my handy Remington 870 pump, had a 14" barrel, legal, came into the US of A, the barrel had grown to 18.5" still legal. But not as handy.

And further more, the ATF was a product of big Government, and should be disbanded! We managed before, and could manage again. With a huge savings of our Tax dollars. How many billions a year do they cost?

We need a weapon expert? Stamp them FBI, and soldier on.

Saw them a couple times at the range. Didn't think the users were PoPo, but I certainly wouldn't have one wihout the paperwork --- especially in California.

Back