A Gun Shop with All Calibers in Stock!?

Only some of the stores price gouge, and the others don't. Its a BAD business model to follow, when many gun owners like me won't go back because of it. And the ones that don't gouge, know this. Customer service in the gun world is worth more then the temporary price hike.

I DO blame the gun store owners. Normally a business doesn't raise prices unless their own price has gone up. Ammo manufacturers aren't charging more to make the bullets because of demand, why should the shop charge more?

I DO blame the gun store owners. Normally a business doesn't raise prices unless their own price has gone up. Ammo manufacturers aren't charging more to make the bullets because of demand, why should the shop charge more?
Because they can. It's simple supply and demand. A few years back, people were paying $3,000-$5,000 over MSRP for Harley motorcycles. Honda can sell most Accords close to MSRP, but Ford is willing to mark the Fusion down by a couple of thousand dollars. When Sony and Microsoft release their new gaming systems, people will pay 2-3 times the price on Ebay. Why? Because people are willing to pay. The buyer always sets the price.

youtubers....

I don't agree with the last remarks posted.
I saw a informative video on YouTube.com where 2 gun shop employees in a small rural area explained what's going on with the ammunition problems.
The shop clerks explained that they must deal with distributors who dictate the prices and supply. If they charge more or limit the amounts sent then those costs are passed on to the consumer.
Guns, ammunition, gear(holsters, mag holders, etc), reloading material etc are not like other products like TVs, toasters or cars.
The gun companies and ammunition do not care if you can't buy their product. They must first supply the public service & military contracts THEN get the commericial market.
As noted in a different topic, there has been a huge increase in gun owners & demand for ammunition in the last 5/10 years in the US. This puts even more strain on the logistics system that isn't set up to handle it.

Gun owners told the retailers they wanted all of the ammo they could sell, so they responded by raising prices.

My LGS responded by limiting the amount each person can purchase, and they will retain my business.

I saw a informative video on YouTube.com where 2 gun shop employees in a small rural area explained what's going on with the ammunition problems.

Anybody can make a UTOOB video, doesn't mean it is the absolute truth.

Oh, yeah, things have totally stabilized; B&S Guns even has 5.7x28 in stock for "only" 60$/50rounds :rolleyes:

Yup, things are finally to where any shortage is self-inflicted by gunshop owners alone. If prices are set high enough, they can reliably keep it on the shelves and still move enough product for when the next shipment comes through to keep the doors open :). We're still a ways off from "normalcy" though :(

TCB

I paid about $25 for a 50 rnd box of PMC .38 special

As much as I love to shoot, and even though I could theoretically "afford" it, I wouldn't shoot more than once a year at those kinds of prices. I'm just too stingy I guess. I reloaded a box of .44 special yesterday for about $6. Going rate at the store, if it could even be found, would be well north of $30, even approaching $50 at some places.

Gun industry...

The Youtubers had no vested interest or any reason to lie.
Id rather hear the truth or the straight story from a industry source than some guy in the parking lot of a gun show or "bar talk". :rolleyes:

The gun store employee also said it was a awful time to start reloading or hand-loading ammunition.
Powder, primer, bullets, cases, etc were also in short supply.
I'm not much into reloading anyways but I can understand the merits of it under "normal" conditions.

A point that a few forum members overlook too is that many cases/boxes of ammuntion are purchased by hoarders or opportunists who want to sell it later.
They aren't gun owners, 2A supporters or hunters. They only want $$$. :mad:

Clyde

Stopped at my local Walmart and picked up three boxes 50 round count .45 ACP. Price was $21.50 a box.

I noted .40s were also in stock as well as a smattering of other calibers such as .380 and a few boxes of .38. No .22s.

I mentioned I wasn't in the market for 9 mm but how's the supplies coming.
He said the stuff is like a super magnet; as soon as a case comes in, it goes out as guys line up for it.

Local gun club indoor range had supplies of .38, 9mm, .40 and .45 for members only in 1,000 round cases. Went pretty quickly. Earlier this summer they had the same deal, also in 1,000 round cases. I believe prices were competitive with Walmart's current prices.

The Youtubers had no vested interest or any reason to lie.
As store employees, I think they did have a reason. It's called passing the buck. Blame the distributor so the customer redirects their anger. There are 2 local gun stores I shop at. One has blamed the distributor, while the other one claims his cost have not gone up, and he only raised he prices because the market demanded it. No sense selling his product for one price while a competitor sells it higher. I appreciate the latter's honesty.

I'm doing you all a great service. Feverishly completing my new gun room, and getting my loading bench back up, and operating. As soon as I can start reloading my ammo again all calibers will be available, and cheap everywhere!
Just the way things work for me.:eek::D

Post #30, prices...

I agree with part of #30, prices are set by the market.
If a brick & mortar gun shop in a small town trolls around online & sees high quality brands like Golden Saber, DPX, Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot, etc selling for $22.00-25.00/20rds then they'll sell their supply for $28.00 USD.
Or they may have a "sale" :rolleyes: & mark it down to $25.00.

I know FFL holders & sporting goods stores want to make profits but they under-estimate the US consumers & gun owners.
It's the uneducated consumers & "weekend Rambos" that have the gun clerks licking their chops, :D.

Back