A Gun Shop with All Calibers in Stock!?

ckpj99

I think things are turning around. There's a gun shop in my town (Cincinnati) I was at the other day. I asked about ammo. They had all handgun calibers in stock (well, all the common ones). They also had NO limit on how many boxes you could buy. The only caliber they had restrictions on was .22, one box only.

I paid about $25 for a 50 rnd box of PMC .38 special. I know it's not the best brand, but $25 is almost back to pre-scare prices. Much better than the 35-40 I was paying for the weird brands I'd never heard of.

Thinks are looking up, folks!

Glad to hear it. It's certainly about time. Maybe those that have been wanting to stock up have done so and now people like me that just want to shoot can find some ammo.

I was at a shop in Colorado today that had a bunch of the common ammo sizes in stock! Prices were steep, but this was the first time in 6 months I have seen multiple boxes of 9mm in stock!
Whiskey

Mixed emotions....

I have a "let's wait" mindset so far about most ammunition sources.
There are a few(and I mean not many) handgun round places both online & local but overall, it's way way far from "normal" in 08/2013.
Many websites are still low or out-of-stock of .45acp, .38spl, .357magnum, .40S&W, etc

As for the future, a few major firms like Remington(a part of ATK) & DRT are expanding but it will still takes years before those new plants come online. :rolleyes:

To me, when FMJ & ball 9mm or .38spl goes back to $10.00/50rds or factory new defense loads run $16.00-20.00/20rd not $50.00 or $60.00 :eek: as I've seen a few retail outlets charge then I'd say things are back to normal levels.

Ammo is still very scarce in my parts. I have better luck (not much) finding ammo online. I still have a good supply, though I'm low on 9x18, 9x19 and 30-30.

.40 and a few others seem to be picking up again in my area. Of course, I had just gotten a .22 for the "cheap and abundant" ammo and it's still non-existent. I went ahead and bought a 5.56 rifle so I can actually get ammo for something I have to shoot.

Doesn't seem to be a limit on anything beyond .22 anymore, either (seems they either have a lot of stock, or none at all). Sure, it's not back to normal, but it's a good sign, at least.

Every time I go into a Walmart for whatever reason, I take a look at the ammo cabinet to see what there is. Today for the first time since the shortage there were 8 boxes of the Winchester white box 100 count 9mm in a New Hampshire Walmart. Only one other time I've seen 9mm, and that was the 50 round boxes of Federal. They also upped the limit to 3 boxes per day instead of two, and I bought two. Powder Valley's website also has small pistol primers for the last week straight which I ordered 5k without a problem, first I've seen SPP ANYWHERE since January. Things seem to be looking up.

I lucked out at a Walmart here in Kansas a few weeks ago. Shelves were stocked with Tula .223, 9mm, and .45 acp. I have several calibers to shoot, but like a lot of people am trying to bulk up the three mentioned above. On a Saturday, I was able to buy 3 boxes of 9mm for 10.50 or so a box, and my fiance helped me get 3 boxes of .45 for 15.50 or thereabouts. On Sunday and a hunch, I went back and was able to pick up 3 more of the 9 and my fiance got me 3 boxes of .223 for 5.50 or so. I know the Tula steel case is not as "refined" as the other stuff but Im not complaining. If I see it, I get it. :D

I have bought several boxes of .38 Spl ammo for $17.50/50 (for a friend).
Same dealer has .380 for about $25/50 and 9mm for $15/50. I have another friend who will probably buy some at that price.
She sold me a 500-round pack of .22LR for $30 and a 325 round pack for $22 a couple weeks back...for another friend, who takes his Boy Scout troop out and uses up any ammo he can buy. Good man.

I load my own, except for .22LR...and I have enough that I have given some away in the last year.

But yes, I think it is slowly getting better.

I went into walmart last night and they had plenty 9mm, 40s&w and 45acp. This was around 8 pm and it had been there since last week. Still no .22lr to be found but things are looking up.

Things are definitely improving here. I've checked several local gun stores lately and the only thing that seems to be difficult to find in this area is .22LR. Some of the local stores have dropped their limits and the prices are coming back down as well.

I've seen 9mm for as little as $13.99 for a box of 50 rounds of American Eagle with a 4 box limit. Another store had new factory 9mm FMJ (can't remember the brand) for $15 a box of 50 with no limits.

I was at a shop in Colorado today that had a bunch of the common ammo sizes in stock! Prices were steep, but this was the first time in 6 months I have seen multiple boxes of 9mm in stock!

OD Green in Arvada?
They've been fully stocked through out all this but they are expensive.

I am only able to find .45 ACP in Walmart where I am. I can't seem to catch .308 in stock to save my life. Other calibers I've been looking for are 9mm and .22 like everyone else. Looking for .38 SPL but not really. Don't shoot it often.

local gun shop exchange.....

I went by a little known hole in the wall fishing cabin type shop near me last week.
ME: Do you have Hornady Critical Duty .45acp?
CLERK: yes
ME: Can I see it?
CLERK: sure(hands me a new box of Critical Defense .45acp).
ME: ahh this isn't Hornady Critical Duty. It's a silver box, this is gold.
CLERK: are you sure? I thought we had a bunch of Hornady Critical Duty.
ME: Do you have any Winchester PDX1 .45 or Corbon DPX?
CLERK: yeah, we have a few boxes of PDX1 .45acp for $38.00 each. 20 round box.
ME: okay thanks , leave shop....

Sadly, the only gun shop anywhere convenient near my house is price gouging. $50 for Winchester white box, 100 count. I won't go back now :(

It's always fun to blame the dealer, and say they are gouging. The reality is they are responding to economics 101. Simple supply and demand. Gun owners told the retailers they wanted all of the ammo they could sell, so they responded by raising prices. In the end, gun owners are the ones responsible for the high prices. If we stop paying the high prices, the prices will come down.

Back