A Grudging Review of the Glock 19

1988 IPSC Handgun World Shoot VIII
Location Caracas, Venezuela
Medalists
gold medal United States Rob Leatham
silver medal United States Chip McCormick
bronze medal United States John Dixon
The above was the winning team! With the above team, was the surgeon who put my Sons leg back together (Motobike accident) in Toronto Canada. The hospital was in Etobico, hope I spelled that right! The Dr,s name was George Watkins.

My Son and I were Range Officers at that match. We both shot Glock 17s.
We ran the standards. It was supposed to be two ranges. One was flooded!
So we had to put all shooters through the one! It was like a hyper range, but we did not rush anyone. Even had three wheel chair shooters. Put in those wheel chairs by gunshot wounds, I was told.

We flew into Florida, where we both now live. We left the arrivals, via a back exit! Had two seats on a returning Charter, to Toronto. The customs officer running the Xray machine asked me what was that? A blob! I told him it was a new plastic framed pistol! So the case was pulled, and I took one G17 apart!
Different Police Officers rolled up! To examine this new type of pistol. A FBI agent, a City Cop, the patient Canadian travellers just stood there, if they would have been Brits, or Yanks they would raised the roof. My Son and I got lots of handshakes.
My Lad said "They never asked were we were coming from?" My answer, its America, they don't care. We were going home.
We were supposed to have driven home in my Sons New Jeep, but a Police Officer friend, from Hollywood who was minding the Jeep, who was coming to the Airport, was rear ended by a Drunk in a Cadilac! Steve chased him, arrested him at gunpoint, hand cuffed him to the steering wheel! When the Uniformed Officers arrived, the drunk complained bitterly about Canadians carrying guns, and handcuffs! The plates on the Jeep! Quite the trip.

After some 7 years, 2000 rounds, and one broken spring, Gretchen and I parted ways yesterday, and I returned to the ranks of the Glockless. She was my first polymer pistol, but she won't be my last. In spite of about 25 years of detesting polymer pistols, I've learned that there's a lot to like in the plastic fantastics. That said, over the last few years, I've also realized that there are other pistols that fit my hand a lot better than my G19 did.
I went the other way not too long ago. After a few years of no Glock 19 (the 19x is more of a 17) I picked one up and am pretty pleased to have one for carry again.

Went in a bunch of directions, mostly on the SAO space and thought my Wilson EDC X9 was the final answer, but I simply shoot the boring old Glock 19 every bit as well (inside of 20 yards), am out of the holster .2 sec faster, and the lighter weight really is more comfortable IWB all day.

Lots of folks swear by the G19, and you won't find me bad-mouthing them. I won't even rule out the prospect of getting another one in the future. That said, I think I'd like to try something else out first. I would have bought an M&P 2.0 compact in 9mm when I sold her, but there was this .22 rifle that I apparently found irresistible.

Lots of folks swear by the G19, and you won't find me bad-mouthing them. I won't even rule out the prospect of getting another one in the future. That said, I think I'd like to try something else out first. I would have bought an M&P 2.0 compact in 9mm when I sold her, but there was this .22 rifle that I apparently found irresistible.
As much as I do swear by the Glock 19 and carry it daily and shoot it well, if I were starting my whole plastic carry 9mm journey over again, I'd likely start with the HK VP9.

jr24: said:
As much as I do swear by the Glock 19 and carry it daily and shoot it well, if I were starting my whole plastic carry 9mm journey over again, I'd likely start with the HK VP9.

The néw VP9 2020 version has the cutout for a modular optic, and the new 17rd mags increase capacity by 2 rounds over the previous 15rd mags which interchange with my HK P30. This new VP9 version has the modular grip like my P30 that interchanges the backstrap and side shells. I have my P30 set up with the largest backstrap and side plates which makes this gun shoot so much better for me and my big hands. I just wish I lived in a state where I can legally own one.

Back