2. Great gun.
3. Good gun.
4. Good gun for the money.
5. Acceptable gun.
6. Not a bad gun.
7. Not a bad gun for the money.
8. Too expensive for what it is.
9. A bad gun.
10. I wonder if I can get the full $25 price at the next gun "buy back" event.

Good gun for the money is same-same as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I buy it I have deemed it worth what I pay for it. Recently, a S&W 617 and a Ruger Wrangler. Both are good guns for the money. The 617 cost 3-1/2 times what the Wrangler cost and it's worth it but I still like the Wrangler too.

A good whatever for the money has always hit me as an ugly slam at whatever the product is. Good for the money suggest's for more money you can do a lot better. I think that depends on what you expect of the product. Is this a gun your gonna throw behind the seat in your pickup? maybe it's just a gun to go out and plug some animal with once a year? So how much gun does either of those require? In fact to get either one, why would you pay a premium price? Imagine some duck hunter that love's hunting in the rain and slogging through the mud to get there buying a $100k Purdy to shoot his ducks with! In his case I would suspect a $250 Mossberg 500 would be a better choice but then again I don't have $100k to spend on a shotgun. Near as I can tell both the Mossberg and the Purdy do pretty much the same thing, they fire a shotgun shell! How about the deer hunter. Is it worth the money to spend $2500 on a custom hunting rifle or will a $300 rifle do the same job? Oh yes, trigger! For a mere $2200 you get a great trigger in the custom, a great trigger you'll probably never need! Put me in mind of the old Savage 110 kit gun. Worst trigger I have ever shot by a long ways! But somehow the people who bough them found them to be awfully accurate,,,,with a junk trigger! Is a $2500 custom rifle worth the money? If you have $2500 and want it it is! Wonder if that $2500 rifle is as accurate as the Savage 110 kit rifle?

I think a guy should but all the quality he thinks he need's weather it really adds anything of value or not. I bet the guy that spends a lot of money on one probably take's almost as good of care of it as the guy with his mod 110! How about that scope? Rumor say's you need to spend more on the scope than you do the rifle. Where do you find a scope tht cost's more than $2500? Of course you could get an $800 Leupold and it's a good scope for the money! So is my Leupold/Redfield $175 scope! How about a Tasco world Class, about $75! Is it a good scope for the money? I mean what d you expect for $75?

I'm sorry, that "for the money" phrase just rub's me the wrong way! I'll go to my room now! :-)

If it's accurate, reliable, durable, and you shoot it well, no matter what you paid its a good gun for the money. If it doesn't meet that criteria, no matter how much you paid, it wasn't a good gun for the money.

Good gun for the money is a BS term writers and reviewers used to justify that is likely not a great product to begin with. It means for a low price it's not comleate crap. Maybe...

Kind of like "combat accurate" or accurate enough for defensive use or some such BS that translates to the gun put most of the rounds on an IDPA target at 7 yards...

I don't understand cheap guns. I also don't understand prestige guns.. BUT I would rather have a quality item or 2 than a safe full of junk.
Is a used Glock at $360 a good gun for the money vs a new one at $500? Yup, cuz it's the same damn thing.

Ruger LCP is under $200 new, does that mean it has to hit bullseye at 15 yards every time like a Sig P238 can? No, it just has to make the schizo bum who's trying to stab you thinking you're a gov't agent trying to abduct him stop trying to stab you.

Not all cheap guns are junk, but all junk guns are cheap.

IMO such a term is open to interpretation and a lot depends on the expectations and needs of the end user and probably not a strong endorsement by the person using the term.

To me it means something that is not top tier or probably even second tier but functional while somewhat rough around the edges with decent reliability and durability, though not close to being the best. Something that would not be chosen by professionals or those that demand top performance and hold up to hard and extended use.

A very good gun for the money (concealable) is a Taurus GS2 with the recoil assembly changed out along with the striker guide with Lakeline LLC parts. Get an excellent, long-lasting handgun for about $250 total that way.

To me it means something that is not top tier or probably even second tier but functional while somewhat rough around the edges with decent reliability and durability, though not close to being the best. Something that would not be chosen by professionals or those that demand top performance and hold up to hard and extended use.

I think it simply means it is a good value whether it is a $100 purchase or a $5,000 purchase. A good gun for the money might be a top of the line and very valuable gun that is a good value.

I think it simply means it is a good value whether it is a $100 purchase or a $5,000 purchase. A good gun for the money might be a top of the line and very valuable gun that is a good value.
LOL, that is why I said it is very open to interpretation.

I would never refer to my HK45 as a good gun for the money but rather an outstanding pistol.

To me saying "a good gun for the money" is like getting setup for a blind date and being told "has a good personality".

A lot of posters here are trying very hard to overthink the OP’s question by “interpreting” it with some weird logic.

Yes, opinions will vary, but please employ the KISS Principle.

I'm like TruthTeller, cheap guns are not interesting or dependable. A good quality gun that you get cheap is a deal, not a cheap gun.

"Good for the money"

An inexpensive item that performed better than expected.

In my safe, that'd be my LCP. Cheap, bare minimum piece that is decently accurate and completely reliable. The trigger is poor, the ergonomics also, the sights are silly (though if you line the sights up on a target and use a proper trigger press, it will hit what you're aiming at) and the controls are mostly too small.

However, it functions perfectly regardless of what is loaded into it (nearly 2,000 rds to this point, 2 malfunctions in the first 250 rds, none since) and it can be accurate, if one takes the time to practice with it.

If it wasn't reliable or if it wan't reasonably accurate, it wouldn't be "good for the money."

May be carried in a OWB holster as well.

Hello folks,

I’m new here so forgive me for butting in to this conversation with a similar query...

Considering build quality, reliability and purpose, I’m interested in finding a “good gun for the money” that I can use for deep concealment or pocket carry. I have “larger” hands, so grip size is a bit of an issue on some pocket pistols. I may, at times, carry it in an OWB / IWB Holster.

I’m looking for some quality input for folks that regularly carry such a gun...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Chefintc: Welcome!
I’m new here so forgive me for butting in to this conversation with a similar query...

Piggy backing on an existing thread often gets confusing. It results in side trips off in the weeds.

Don't be afraid to start your own thread.

A quick answer to your question: You have to try shooting the gun to see what works for you,and for your hands. I suggest you compare the Shield 2,0, the M+P compact (Doublestack,fatter grip for bigger hand,not as concealable) and the Glock,,,I think the Model 43 and 48? I'm not a Glock guy at this point,,but I recognize they are a good choice.

I notice the S+W custom shop offers a 4 inch bbl Shield 2.0 . Interesting.IMO,a little more barrel and slide does not hurt carry. IMO,very short bbls and slides make for a "top heavy" IWB carry,that wants to tip over.You need a good gun belt.

There. I'm done!

A pocket gun has to be small. A gun with a large handle isn't going to be a good pocket
gun. It's a trade off, you may need to forget pocket gun and go for a holster gun. I carry a S&W 642 revolver in my pocket, any thing larger doesn't work, even the LC9 is no good in a pocket due to the shape altho size isn't bad, wrap my hand around the handle I can't draw the gun. I can also do IWB with the 642.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Back