a good ankle gun

• Thread starter Thread starter dw
  • Start date Start date
hey i just wanted to say thanks for all the help.
I had been considering the S&W airlights so, i just need affirmation.

i also considered some others but i heard bad stuff about the tomcat, the glock just seems to big for my ankle, eventhough it is compact, the ppk isn;t the lightest gun in .32 cal.

But the MK9 i am still considering. but would the MK9 make a good small of the back gun. I have considered many different concealed carry options and just don;t know what to do. Once i decided the best place to carry a gun i will decide which one to buy

thanks again

Addition to my 12-2 post in re your last post: I think that you are on the right track with letting carry method be a decider. The revolvers carry easier on the ankle, but if you are going to do a waist holster of some type, an auto is shaped better (slimmer, grip size not a factor in small guns) and give more rounds. I bet MK9 would work for both, you might solicit info from folks with experience with it on the ankle. Otherwise, the 442/642 with a pocket holster (the cheap Uncle Mike's is great), good ankle holster, and good small-of-back or IWB would be most versatile.

I have both the MK9 and a 442 , I feel the 442 carries on the ankle better because of the lighter weight , to me the MK9 is a pocket gun . In a IWB rig I would go with the full size Kahr over the MK9 , the slightly larger size will stay put better and will give you more to grab if you need it . Make sure you get a good ankle holster , nothing is worse than having the holster start to slide down your ankle as you walk . I usually wear Hi-Top style shoes with an ankle rig and strap the holster right at the top of the shoe , this keeps the holster up where it needs to be . Good luck , Mike...

Ankles are pretty fragile, just about any gun should do the job. They're small targets though, you should probably consider aiming for COM instead.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

R PHILLIPS - In 1623, Virginia forbade its
colonists to travel unless the were "well armed"; in 1631 it required colonists to engage in target practice on Sunday and "to bring their peeces to church." - from a 1982 Congressional report on gun control, quoting a compilation of Va. laws in a book published in 1823.

CAT - I tested numerous loads from a 940 against .357 mag loads from a 3" model 65. The only load that beat a 115gr Corbon 9mm was the hot 125gr .357 loads and it was by less than 100 fps. Out of a 2" gun I think it would have lost. The historical power of the .357 is dependent on barrel length to burn that large a case full of slow burning powder. The 9mm's small case gets its powder burned much faster so works better in a short barrel. A few months ago one of the gun mags did a report on this very subject only they were shooting a S&W 9mm 547 3" against a S&W mod 13 3". The accompanying charts to the article had all the velocities for various loads, though I suspect that the 9mm picks up even more in a 2" gun. I love my 940 too.

When I carry that way I carry my Taurus M85 .38spl loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P's.
It is a good combo for backup carry.

Any Smith J frame. See Mike Spight's post. I've gotten away from ankle carry, though. Too many tactical drawbacks for the convienience. On that note, I have a Kramer ankle holster, left hand, mohagany horsehide, for a S&W 36 / 60. VERY comfortable, just don't use ankle holsters anymore. Only worn a couple times. Paid $100, will sell for $50, will ship to the first taker to E-Mail me.

[This message has been edited by DAVE MOON (edited December 11, 1999).]

Noone has mentioned the Ruger sp101. I had a G27, smith 640-1 and the sp101. when I decided to do some trading and needed to get rid of something, the sp101 was the one I kept. Mine is DAO and while a little heavy, carries fine on the ankle. Loaded with 5 125 grain golden sabers and a speed strip in the pocket, I feel well armed.

anything but a .25. .22 lr has twice the hitting power. *maybe* a .22 loaded with hyper velocity. otherwise the next step is something on the lines of a bersa .32, or a 38 of some kind. Of course, if your hands shake, get a derringer in .410.

RELAX guys, just wondering!! plus a little bit of misplaced humor I supose. kinda like the Ruger Mini - 14, rope and boat anchor remarks. I carry my off duty weapon into a lot of "unusual" places... Just in case???
Nothing personal and/or no disrespect intended!!!!

I use either G33 with corbon 115's in an Alessi ankle rig or SW 442 158lead swchp +p in old PPS ankle rig, both work well SPG

Back