a good ankle gun

• Thread starter Thread starter dw
  • Start date Start date

dw

i am jsutlooking for a good ankle gun that packs a little punch. if anyone has had any sucess with one or knows of a good one please let me know. thanks

I own a LWS seecamp shoots 32acp winchester slivertips, as small as a 22 or 25 hand gun.
They are pricey but for a mouse gun never ever hand a jam. I belive they are the best back up gun out.

I personally would not use anything smaller than a 9mm for self defense. For what you need, I would use a Kahr MK 9 or a K .40

S&W 442 or 642. Simple, reliable, won't easily gum up with the extra dust/debris around your lower leg, more pop than any .25 or .32, and the shape of the revolver is much handier than the shape of an auto when packed on the ankle. Add GOOD holster like the "Renegade" for best results.

FEG (Hungarian) SMC .380 (smaller than a ppk, more rounded edges) available from KBI, Harrisburg PA. (compact version of PA-63 auto) with 6 shot clip. less than $200, lightwieght and sturdy, heavy trigger pull, but solid double action.

either that..

or a REAL walther ppk (pre-war) in .32, very small and all steel.. durable but heavy. Crisp trigger and loaded chamber indicator. This would set you back well over $500 Holds 6 rounds.

or a an AMT back-up in 380 inexpensive stainless DAO (i think they also made a single action version) Holds 5 rounds if I recall right.

The walther would be the most expensive, and would rust sooner than the aluminum framed SMC or stainless AMT... the AMT is double action only but ankle carry is meant for concealment or placement of a back-up gun, an SA shot might not be an issue. Both PPK and SMC are double/single with a decocker/safty. All of them have fixed sights, the sMC's being a bit smallish and the AMT having just a channel on top of the slide. the PPK and SMC both have flat slide tops for faster alignment, whereas the AMT 's is rounded.

Or if you like revolvers.. a lightweight smith and wesson "airwieght" or ladysmith .38 might be a great bet too. Get it +p rated and put a skinny smooth grip on it that won't catch your pant leg.

Hope the info helps,

Dr.Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited December 02, 1999).]

LEO friend who is very knowledgable about handguns carries a S&W 640 in .357 mag or Glock 27 in .40 when using ankle holster. Sounds very logical to me. If you can live with .38 Special+P+, the airweight S&W 642 would be more comfortable. (Wait, I forgot about the new titanium J-frames in .38 Special +P) The lighter weight helps keep the gun in the holster while running and makes less noise should you bump a table leg or something with the inside of your gun leg. An ankle gun will collect crud fast. Reliability should be a strong consideration. The enclosed hammer Smith revolvers and 9mm or larger autos will be better able to stay clean or "chew up" the dirt.

I'd suggest a .38 snub nose revolver, either S&W or Taurus. I'd stay away from the .22/.25 autos, I've never had good experiences with them (Browning, Taurus, Beretta). If your looking for a quick hard punch without quick follow up shots, I'd look at an American Arms Derringer in .410/.45LC cant get a much better close range punch that that.

S&W Mod 442/642 Airweight loaded with .38 Special 158gr LSWCHP +Ps.

As one of the other posters pointed out, select a very good holster for ankle carry. I've heard that Alessi makes one of the very best, if not the best ankle holster.

Mike

Smith 342. Pricey, but at 14 ounces fully loaded with 5 .38+p's, it's a good carry gun and isn't as prone to dirt related stoppages as the autoloaders. When you carry on an ankle it gets dirt from the ground and lint from your pants. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Fury

------------------
It's not paranoia, they really are out to get me.

The Colt Pocket 9mm may be a good choice, if you can still find one. 17 ounces unloaded, 2.75 in barrel, 6+1 capacity, snag free sights. A little, actually alot, on the pricey side.... about $475-525.

I carry both a Glock 27 and a Beretta tomcat, on my ankles. The Glock has the stopping power, and higher mag. capasity, if i am going to be a high tension area but the Tomcat is nice for church and other low key social activites where I want something but a little smaller to conceal. and yet the .32 cal tomcat packs more punch than the .25 cal jetfire.

------------------
when the govenment comes for you weapons, give them the ammo first

When I carry on the ankle, I wear my S&W 940. It carries well, is snagproof, and doesn't print with loose fit denims or slacks.
It also has a good deal more zip than a .38 Special. I haven't compared its ballistics with a 2" .357 yet, but I know a .357 snub sure kicks and roars more.

Neil Casper

Thanks Mikie, you never know where you are going to need a firearm!! it's a corrupt world!!

------------------
when the govenment comes for you weapons, give them the ammo first

A S&W 442 full of Nyclads . It does not weigh a lot , has a fairly small size and will go bang 5 times , even if it is full of leg hair and sock lint . Good luck , Mike...

Back