A gap to fill

For something other than .22 revolvers, I saw someone recommend a .327 Magnum and I can't help but agree... ONLY if you are a reloader. .327 is yet to catch on and will not catch on for at least another 5 years, maybe more. The range of power it can shoot tho is incredible, from mouse fart .32 up to near .357 Magnum power.

On the auto side, I'm privy to anything .40 caliber and in a Glock for ease of conversion to something else.

40 and 45 auto and a 22 rimfire and a Ruger 45 Colt revolver would fill out the hand guns nicely. The rimfire revolver allows you to shoot the BB caps, short and longs that won't cycle the auto.

WyMark - I recommend you consider a Ruger SP101 double action stainless steel .22 revolver. OR, if you prefer SA and blue, you might consider a Ruger New Model Single Six .22. The Single Six might fit your traditions better, but the SP101 might be more durable in those Wyoming rain forests.;) A 1911 is also a "necessity."

Boncrayon said:
You say you have a .45 acp....If it's not a .45 1911, I'd suggest it for your collection!

My .45 ACP is a 1937 Brazilian contract M1917. I just had some trigger work done and can actually shoot it in DA mode now. I was looking at 1911's for a bit but then went for the BHP instead. I will likely own a good 1911 one of these days, but it's not an immediate "want" right now.

lefteye said:
I recommend you consider a Ruger SP101 double action stainless steel .22 revolver. OR, if you prefer SA and blue, you might consider a Ruger New Model Single Six .22

I looked at an SP101 and didn't like the trigger at all. In fact if it didn't suck so bad I might have bought it instead of my GP100. I'm leaning towards a Single-Six convertible, my LGS quoted me $500 for the 5.5 inch. I'm having a hard time justifying the price of a S&W 617 or GP100 .22. Hell, I paid $175 for my old Single Six back in 79 and find it really hard to pay $500 for another one now.

He also got word that he might see the Henry LR in .223 in March, and if so that will likely be my next gun. Unless I grow impatient and go for the .22 revolver instead.

You do not own a .44 mag. I shoot .44 spl out of my S&W 629 and it is like shooting a .45 ACP. I do have a .22 revolver but I like my Taurus PT PLY .22lr. I am amazed that it has never jammed on me yet and you do not need to rack the slide since the barrel tilts up for putting one in the chamber. I used to own the S&W 617 which held 10 rounds of .22lr and I found a speed loader for it. Problem is that I enjoy shooting to feel recoil and a .22 is too tame for shooting at paper. If I could plink and shoot things then I would love a good .22 but shooting at paper does not do it for me.

Ruger makes a revolver that shoots both .45 ACP and .45 Colt (my favorite caliber.). They also have a GP100 in .44 spl and .22 as well as their smaller SP101. Quite frankly, before the Taurus, every .22 semi auto jammed on me and I switched to .22 revolvers. You can even get a SA only cowboy one.

You have a lot of choices. I also like the .327 Federal magnum which you can find from both S&W and Ruger. I have had them all, even a .454 Casull. I like shooting as many calibers as I can. I used to own a single six and with the two cylinders for both .22lr and .22 mag. Good gun and you can find a used one fairly easily. Look up Heritage Arms for cowboy guns in .22.

I had a Taurus 94, the trigger was lousy. I now have a Ruger SP 101 and after changing springs and honing several interior parts, the trigger is OK, not great. If I were buying one today l would probably go S&W. instead. The price is about the same and it's hard to beat a Smith's trigger. Rimfire takes a little harder strike so a nice double action trigger is harder to come by.

Well we all know a solid 22 revolver is a great all around weapon to keep in the collection, with that being said if I were to get a new one today it would be the Ruger Sp 101. With its 8 shot cylinder, 4" barrel and hi viz sights it makes a good option.
The only draw back to the 22 revolvers is the need to make the springs heaver than their center fire counterparts for reliable ignition of the rimfire rounds. They do tend to smooth out a little with use and ammo is cheap so it would be fun to break it in.
I also agree with you keeping an eye out for a 1911, they do make a great addition to any collection.

I'm down to four choices, going to see how many I can fondle tomorrow. I looked at a SP101 .357 last weekend, and the trigger was great. If he'd had this one in the case a few months ago I'd probably have it instead of the GP100.

My list is (not in order of preference):

Ruger Single Six convertible
Ruger SP101
Ruger GP100
S&W 617

I'm leaning toward the SP101 at the moment. I wanted the Single Six, but now I'm not sure I really want to go with a single action. Although the mag cylinder would be really nice to have.

I just sighted down the barrel of my 4.2" GP and 6" 14, and I'm not sure the extra length of the GP or 617 will matter that much for plinking. This was in my basement though, and I need to take a closer look out at the range. But when I've shot both GP and m14 together I didn't really notice the difference in length that much.

Of your four choices the Single Six would be the "best" choice.
First, it's a Ruger, it's a "classic", it will fire short, long and long rifle ammo without a care and it is likely the best built gun on the list.

I picked up an SP101 Saturday and have run a couple hundred rounds through it so far. It's a sweet little gun and fun as hell to shoot. I got the sights more or less dialed in today.

I looked at a model 17 and a 617 last week, both were really nice, but way more than I wanted to spend. The 17 especially at $910 was more than I'll likely ever spend on a .22. But dang if it wasn't a nice gun.

I'm sure the itch for a 1911 will come back again one of these days.

So now the list is:

Auto:
1 .22 (Sig Mosquito)
1 32acp (Keltec P32)
3 9mm (Shield, P228, BHP)

Revolver:
1. 22 (SP101)
1 .38 (S&W 14-7)
2 .357 (GP100, LCR)
1 .45acp (S&W 1937)

If I get a 1911 one of these days, which I likely will eventually, I will also need a .327 revolver as well. Not too sure how well this logic will work on the wife, I haven't tested it yet.

Last edited:
I agree with you about the SP-101's less than stellar DA trigger. They do smooth up with use, but also look at it this way: the SP-101 has a DA's nice short lock time when fired in the SA mode. Personally I have struggled with getting the most out of my Single Six due to the pack-a-lunch hammer fall.

Back