A First

If used, the die's expander ball may be too big.

What are the diameters of the bullets and resized necks inside? An interference fit of 1 to 2
thousandths is normal.

SAAMI's specs on 7mm Rem Mag bullet diameters are .2815" to .2845".

Last edited:
Beat me to it. After reviewing the post, it occurred to me the expander could be one intended for .30 cal that got on the die by mistake. The bullets would then be loose, which would explain how they could appear to back out when they are actually sliding into the throat by inertia during chambering and then wedging just enough to be pulled out lightly on the extraction of a live round.

Thanks for all the insight. I haven't gotten the rifle back, so I'll report as soon as I get it. Firing Line is the BEST!!

Got the rifle back today, and he sheared off the extractor. One of the bullet noses was mashed by trying to bolt another round on the chambered case. Inside diameter of sized cases is .281 and Sierras are .2835. I've used the same lot of new Hornady brass for my Rem 700 and have no issues. Have used the same procedure for neck sizing for almost 50 years. I put the edge of a nickel between the die and shell holder. I'll put a taper crimp on the remainder.

Never heard of a roll crimp on a bottle neck rifle cartridge...

You never heard of the .30-30??? :eek::rolleyes:
(for just ONE example)

All of the centerfire rounds intended for tube magazine rifles used roll crimps.

All of my rifle seating dies (standard dies, Lyman, RCBS, even my old Herter's dies) produce a roll crimp when adjusted to crimp. Including the bottle neck ones.

If the only thing that changed was a new batch of brass and you get loose bullets, I'd check that batch's neck thickness, before doing anything else.

Back