A few questions.

Wouldnt I have to register it with the BATF?
Does it even need a SN?
I would like to make it as unmarked as possible.
BTDT???
g-gobs???

Wouldnt I have to register it with the BATF?
Does it even need a SN?
I would like to make it as unmarked as possible.
Yes
Yes
Why?
Unless you want a throw down why would it matter if it was marked.?

what would you be planning to do with an untraceable gun?

I just want a stainless steel, mirror polished, 1911 with as few markings as possible.
I like shiny things. :)
A custom SN would also be cool. :cool:
Registration is free?

He has asked multiple questions:

1. about NFA which is either a $200 making tax or a $200 or $5 transfer tax.

2. About making title 1 guns, which requires no tax.

I think it would be cool.

To answer some of your previous questions..

BTDT= Been there, done that. I was referring to having used someone else's machine shop to build a firearm. I work in a machine shop.

G-job or "Government job" is machine shop slang for a personal project done on your own time using the company's machines.

A custom 1911 would not have to be registered with BATFE, since it's not regulated under the National Firearms Act of 1934.

On a non-NFA firearm that you build for yourself, I believe BATFE recommends that you serial number it, but doesn't require it unless you decide to sell it at a later date. I may be FOS on that point.

As has been stated, you can use whatever serial number you want.

My home-built .50

No, not a handgun.
I made this Haven Mark II .50 BMG bolt action rifle from scratch.
OK, I bought the rifled barrel blank, the scope, the scope rings, the springs, the trigger, and the recoil pad.;)
I made the action, stock, and muzzle brake from scratch.
It's sort of a "Weatherby Mark V on steroids".:)
These pictures show it and its bolt next to my SAKO .338 WinMag (and its bolt) for comparison.
The pictures are not reversed; I'm left-handed.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 50 001.JPG
    50 001.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 14,651
  • 50 004.JPG
    50 004.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 6,822
  • 50 006.JPG
    50 006.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 6,701
Last edited:
To keep this thread on-topic in the "Full Auto" forum.....
The first gun I built is my Haven Mark I left-handed submachine gun based roughly on the STEN/AUSTEN design.
I used a STEN magazine housing and STEN magazines and AUSTEN grips.
Yes, it's legal. (Form 1 Approved 30 Dec., 1981)
Subs are cool.
attachment.php

Attachments

• mark I.jpg
    mark I.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 7,072
I also built an MG-34 receiver from scratch in 1983.
That was a serious challenge with just a parts kit from Armex, a few photos from books, and NO drawings.
Belt-feds rule!:D
attachment.php

Attachments

• BELT-FED.JPG
    BELT-FED.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 120
Very nice work, Dave. But of all the things to build from a torched kit, you picked an MG34? And without plans or blueprints? A "serious challenge" (to use your words) is a serious understatement - there's a lot of rewelded '34s out there that can't run for crap.

Very nice work, Dave. But of all the things to build from a torched kit, you picked an MG34? And without plans or blueprints? A "serious challenge" (to use your words) is a serious understatement - there's a lot of rewelded '34s out there that can't run for crap.
Thanks!
Why an MG34? WHY NOT?! I thought it was COOL. (And after watching Star Wars a few times....:D )
My '34 was NOT made from a "torched" kit. I machined the receiver from a 50-something-pound billet of 4340 without ever seeing an original receiver (or parts of one) with my own eyes. I machined the unlocking cams into the front of the receiver without knowing that the originals were made separately and riveted into the receiver. That would've made it a lot easier.:p
Just to brag a little... it runs flawlessly. It's a kick in the @$$ to shoot! The only malfunctions are occasional misfires. I attribute that to the Portugese ammo, which seems to have marginally sensitive primers.
It was a fun project.

Dave - I almost bought a rewelded '34 years ago from a guy in CA who bought it from Tim LaFrance(who did the reweld), but after hearing numerous horror stories about improperly rewelded '34s that didn't run, I decided to pass on it. From all I've heard its one hell of a job to properly reweld a cut '34 receiver. Building one from scratch probably helped get around some of the problems of getting the pieces aligned and welded back up, but I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to build one without even pieces to look at to help figure out how it should have been done or even where to start. VERY impressive...

Thanks, guys!:)
I'm rather proud of my .50 action, too. Even if it isn't a machine gun.
I sincerely appreciate the compliments.

Thats pretty cool.
The smg looks pretty crazy being backwards.
How much did it cost you to make it and how is it legal?
Did you make it in 1981? :confused:

But I would love to have that MG34!
I machined the receiver from a 50-something-pound billet of 4340
I machined the unlocking cams into the front of the receiver without knowing that the originals were made separately and riveted into the receiver.
Sounds solid. :D

Back