A Dying Model but I Love it

I keep hearing horror stories about S&W support of the Contender frame but I had a frame I hadn't used is awhile because the interlock safety had broken and I didn't want to pay the $50 everyone was selling them for. Out of curiousity I sent S&W an email inquiring about buying one. Sure enough they needed me to send in the frame. But they sent me a fedex shipping label on their dime so I figured, "Why not". Never heard a word out of them but two weeks later my frame arrived with the new safety installed. And new hammer springs and they swapped out my old "need a screwdriver to change" hammer with a switch on top hammer.
And for reading my story, here's some T/C ****.

OkieCruffler,
Glad to hear that story. That TC you have there is definitely different looking grip. But I bet with that barrel size that you have on it you can at least hold on to it .
Thanks for the post

44 AMP,
Do you have any pictures of the 9mm barrel on your TC, I'm thinking about a 8 3/4 357 magnum for another frame. I bet that little 9 is one fun gun to shoot!

The short barrel is the 9mm Luger, the other two are .45-70 (on the frame) and .22 Hornet.

Most of the rest of the "family".

That barrel is a 357 max and even with the brake it is uncomfortable to shoot with that grip. That upper finger of wood can really dig into the top of your thumb. I usually had that rig on my little 30 luger. Not as cool looking, but a lot friendlier to shoot.

Man, those are pretty cool handguns.
From the looks of the target they are pretty accurate to boot.
I have not had a chance to shoot one of these but I can see the appeal.
A friend of mine has a Ruger Charger, similar looking and he is very fond of it.

There's really no end to it. There are factory barrels, then custom barrels, then wildcats that require custom dies. Good glass will set you back a small fortune. Custom wood, brakes, rest, yep you be screwed.:D

Last edited:
I have a super 14 in 45/70 with a T/C lit reticle scope. I only shoot trap door rated loads in it. It is awesome touching it off! Looking forward to hunting with it this year.

I love my 14" 7 TCU. We use it to shoot 30mm sporting clays on the 200 yard backstop.
For those new to TCs, the 7 TCU is a 223 necked up to 7mm. It's an awesome little cartridge that predates the 300 AAC/BO.

There's also a 13" Match Grade Machine barrel in 45 Colt sitting in my safe. Right next to it is a 6-1/2" 10mm custom barrel. I had Shilen send a hand lapped blank to Match Grade Machine for the TC conversion. Since there was a bit of extra barrel left over I had them chamber it for 40 S&W. TC NEVER made a barrel in that caliber. It sold nicely on that auction site and helped pay for my 10mm. :D

Back