A Different Approach

1hogfan83

I've owned several brands of guns. Several of the pistol brands were made in states that have the strictest gun laws. I'm still not completely aware of all of the manufactures of the northeastern makers. What I would like to know is the name of some of the "free state" manufactures. Even some overseas manufacturers would be nice. If this means paying more for a gun just on principle then so be it. I do feel good knowing my HK was built in Germany and hopefully a cz in the Czech Republic sometime in the future.

Well, Ruger has offices all over the place, including CT, NH, AZ, and is expanding into NC.

Walther has some manufacturing in Fort Smith. Arkansas also has Nighthawk and Wilson Combat. I'd consider us a "free state."

Germany is a free state??

There's EAA and KelTec in Florida.
Glock in Georgia.
High Point in Ohio.
Sig in Texas and New Hampshire.

Last edited:
FN is in South Carolina, Columbia I doubt they make civilian firearms there, I'd have to ask my friend that works there. Pietro Beretta is in Maryland but I have read they may move.

Para-Ordnance was conceived and birthed in Canada... and chose to move to NC. Les Baer built his operation in Illinois... and then elected to move to Iowa.

The lion's share of Smith & Wesson's storied history is obviously in Springfield, Mass... but they now build a number of guns north, in the state of Maine.

In spring of this year, I really wanted to drop in and meet the small crew of folks that made my Coonan Classic in Blaine, Minnesota, but I couldn't pull it off on the schedule. Maybe next time?

STI's guns are made in Texas... except for their lowest-priced Spartan model, which comes from the same place as so many other 1911 pistols. (Phillipines, I think? Check that...)

Freedom Arms makes their guns in Wyoming. There are few states in this great nation that are more free than Wyoming.

North American Arms, Cobra, and LAR are based in Utah, among dozens of bullet and precision rifle companies. (Robinson Armament, Vector Arms, and Barnes Bullets being some of the notables that don't make handguns.)

Browning is another notable addition, but, to the best of my knowledge, only the Buckmark frame, 1911-22 frame and slide, and some of their bows are made in Utah. Everything else is imported, or made elsewhere in the United States.

Germany is not a free state, its a country, but these manufactures keep making guns in states that have very strict gun laws. Colt, Smith and Wesson, Kimber, Smith & Wesson. How does that work, can you produce a 30rd magizine for a assault rifle in Massachusetts when when both the gun and the mag are illegal in the state? How can Kimber produce a gun that holds 9 rounds of 9mm in their pro carry or a magazine for that gun when both are illegal in New York? Something to think about.

Last edited:
I do feel good knowing my HK was built in Germany and hopefully a cz in the Czech Republic sometime in the future.

I suspect both countries have much stricter gun control than any state in America. And in many cases, those US companies in now gun-unfriendly states were established long before the state legislatures passed gun control laws which most of us now find objectionable. My bet is that those manufacturers and their thousands of employees who produce the firearms we use are not supporters of those laws. Consider that laws come and go over time, also. Today's restrictions will change.

The bottom line is that each of us makes our own buying decisions based on the factors we consider most important.

In my case, I weigh the balance between perceived quality and cost. I'd like the various states to have more reasonable gun laws, too. But that's not something I consider in making a purchase. And it certainly won't prevent me from buying what I want, just to make a hollow political statement, and leaving me with a firearm I'll always tell myself wasn't my first choice.

Most all of those companies residing in firearm unfriendly states were there long before any of this latest stupidity began. I see no reason to punish them or the folks trying to make an honest living working for them because of something the legislators is that state has said or done. Kinda like killing the messenger. In the case of having U.S. citizens laid off and local economies destroyed while foreign companies and economies grow because of principle, one needs to review their priorities.

florida....

Florida also has Kel Tec, Serbu Firearms(super shorty 12ga), Knight's Armament, Safariland group HQ(Jacksonville), and maybe a new Colt factory(but the final plans seem under a delay).

Gov Scott did a few PR events for the Colt plant. It was rumored to be a production site for M4s, M16s & maybe the new USMC sidearm, the MC45.

I'll start saving up for my CZ PCR and HK45c. Nighthawk and Wilson combat are just down the road from me but I'm not going to wait forever or spend that much on a 1911, no matter how nice.

Mfg usually has nothing to do with what is legal in that state. Ie even though we can't have suppressors in MN someone could mfg them here to be shipped to places where they are legal. Would be unbelievably costly to move your mfg plant to another state and start over.

It just bothers me that some of the best gun makers would do this. This really narrows my choices. Maybe a FNX in the distant future, or God forbid, another Glock. Anyone know of where the FNX9 or 45 is made?

The thing that bothers me, is when looking back at my last few gun purchases this year only one of four were made here in the US. (CZ, Bersa, Weatherby, Hi-Point). And in review of my Christmas purchases those that I am looking at are also from overseas.

Either due to regulations (EPA & OSHA) or restrictive gun laws the American makers are being priced right out of the market. Like the clothing industry "Made in America" maybe a thing of the past. Ruger and Savage use to make affordable guns, but I fear that maybe a thing of the past. Short of AR's it would appear that your next purchase could have "Made in China" stamped on it.

Jim

FNH; South Carolina...

To my limited knowledge, FNH has plants & offices in South Carolina.
Im not sure which firearms or accessories are manufactured there.
I think it's most of the US market small arms.

Well if Rick Perry had his way...

Colt, Remrington, S&W, Winchester, Savage, H&R, S&W, etc...would all be in Texas by now.

Most of them have UNIONS to worry about and that makes it difficult for them to move.

For, you see, 'free state' means more than just free to own guns. In Texas we have the right to work without Unions forcing us to pay dues, lots of other states don't.

Deaf

Back