A day at a California Range

I would question the wear of bedroom slippers and flip flops to the range. I see nothing wrong with being concerned over that, as the safety benefits and practicality of wearing footwear that fully covers the feet aren’t some far out wild theory. That’s on the RO, though. If I feel a range is generally unsafe I leave. Only happened once but it happened. I also lament that society has become so casual that bedroom lounge attire passes for public dress, but that more of a general concern and not just at the range.

Otherwise the descriptors of each individuals tastes in clothing styles and firearms wouldn’t concern me. I like beat up WWII era rifles, and I have ARs with a couple gadgets attached. I will say I wouldn’t be excited to watch mad max incarnate roll up in the stall next to me at first, out of initial concern that his focus on appearance may have been at the expense of actual knowledge on safe firearms handling. If I am proven wrong and he is a safe shooter, then I wouldn’t care if he wore a spiked neck collar as long as he was courteous.

Brass flying... I get it’s annoying but lord don’t ever shoot on a range run by military or law enforcement. Getting pelted with brass and keeping focus seems to be a part of training itself. Bonus points if the brass goes in the opening at your collar makes it to about nipple level before it gets stuck between your body armor and skin, and you still satisfactorily and safely complete your string of fire :D. Seriously I can understand the annoyance at an outing shooting for leisure though.

I shoot some with an old Vietnam sniper. He is a straight up PTSD odd ball. I love him to death. But he has issues.
I said that to say this, dont judge a book by its cover. His cover is to most laughable, but he is Hell with a rifle, especially in the wind.

OP - I'm a little bit confused here...

Under my interpretation: You "holler and waved a push back" at the guy who stepped up to the firing pad with a cased gun. If the range rule states, that it's not breaking a rule if a person steps up or behind to the firing pad with a cased gun during a ceasefire --- Then why did you "holler and wave a push back" at him, during that time?

Then you state, that when you were downrange during the ceasefire, the shooter took his firearm out of the case during the ceasefire, while on or behind the firing line (which is an obvious range rule violation).

That's where I get a little bit confused as to what really happened.

Unless the range rule state's: That it is a violation of range rules, If a shooter brings a cased or uncased firearm up or behind the firing line during a ceasefire.

Last edited:
Thinking to myself, I'll bet the op wished he had never started this thread!
It's probably happened to anyone that has started more than a couple of conversations on forums, no worries.:D

From op yesterday
" But come on, show up sober, serious and safe and I'll be the best shooting buddy you can ask for."
Sounds like uncle Joe, I doubt those kids want to be your "best shooting buddy".

One of the ranges that is within driving distance has had 3 people killed in recent years. Knowing that, I can see the OP's view. Stupid is as stupid does.

I will note that the range I spoke of above, has since implemented numerous safety measures, and the RO's are strict and do not take any BS from anyone on the targets and they are always open carrying JIC.

The incidents mentioned above all took place before there were any RO's.

I feel like going out back to my berm and kissing the ground. But it's in cow pasture, so I won't.

F everyone's I, I used to shoot in flip flops. It's not really that easy to hurt your foot at a shooting range.

A few years ago I went for the first and last time to a popular So. Cal. range (since closed). In the lane to our right came two guys who thought it was cool to gangsta hold a glock. The R.O.'s would be on the PA about rapid fire and cease fire but didn't walk the line. Gangsta hold dudes were pelting us with hot brass. I asked them to do it right. Next round they did it again pelting my friends wife who was shooting for the first time with hot 40 Short & Whimpy Brass. I sounded them on it and one of them flipped me off.

Next round I made sure to stand an extra step back with my Mini14 loaded with Wolf Steel case and returned the favor in spades. My friend and his wife would abandon the bench when they stepped up and let me pelt them in reurn. The R.O.'s didn't even respond to her complaints that were tendered at that point.

During the next cease fire I talked to the two benches to the left and 2nd bench to the right. I showed them a rifle round and informed them that when they saw me hold one up and then go to the line with the big bolty that they might want to take a break. Once firing recommenced the Gangstas went back to being Gangstas. Eye contact was made to the three benches and they gave the OK. I made sure the one who flliped me the bird was on the line doing the Gangsta hold when he caught my muzzle blast....from a 375 RUM loaded with a 225 Gr Hornady and 103 grains of H4381SC. I jacked #2 in and hit them again.

The R.O.'s came down looking for the 50.....everyone was pointing to me. But since I was well within the rules there was nothing they could or would do. Gangsta boys complained but freind and his wife complained again as well as two of the three adjoining benches. Gangsta hold were finally tossed; they found that blatantly throwing brass at someone doesn't compare to massive muzzle blast.

Afterwards, several people approached me about trying out my Rem AWR. I told them terms and conditions, the ammo was self loaded, and it was $10 a shot and it was a starting load 225 gr. first, full power 300 gr second. Many wouldn't even go for shot #2 and didn't ask for a refund. Our range trip was paid for, same for dinner, and I had money left over.

I didn't care that they looked like homies, I cared that they ACTED and responded like homies. I also cared that the R.O.'s didn't do their jobs and correct them on their handling and decorum which is why I never went back. The R.O.s made noise on the P.A. but didn't come down to talk to obvious offenders. When they came to me they were explicitly looking for a 50 BMG; mine is only 1/2 that. That and the benches were too close together to begin with; my Mini could hit someone 4 benches over with no problem. Welcome to the PRC. These days I only go on my friends property or a BLM spot that I know.

At one gun shop/range I go to a novice shooter back out of his lane with an AR-15 in his hands, I was on him in a flash. At that same range
an RO calls "Cease Fire ! " you lay your firearm down on the bench then back up to a yellowline about 8-1O feet to the rear.
I have Zero Tolerance for carelessness and not following safety rules but I think in civilian life an approach other than the DI chewing out the recruit is more effective. A lot of new shooters are not stupid, they are ignorant and untrained.

SIGSHR said:
I have Zero Tolerance for carelessness and not following safety rules but I think in civilian life an approach other than the DI chewing out the recruit is more effective. A lot of new shooters are not stupid, they are ignorant and untrained.

I concur.

A range is a sort of bridge between a normal world and a dangerous one with different rules. New shooters are ignorant of many dangers, including the danger of another shooter being careless and hurting that new shooter. They don't always make the connection that an RO who barks at them is the same thing that keeps them safer from others while shooting.

Lots of people also aren't inured to that level of noise and may misinterpret a clear instruction as "being yelled at".

Uncomfortable, not a major injury.
I actually went to a SWAT call out and raided a house with flip flops. Not my desire to do so, but I was taking the boat out of the water when I got the call.

Holy smokes I want to work at an agency that would allow that lol! Yes brass between your toes isn’t a major injury. Nor is hot brass falling down your body armor. It’s more of the concern of a new/novice shooter freaking out about it with a loaded firearm. Also many outdoor ranges have terrain not suitable for flip flops. I suppose I see it as less a problem at indoor ranges... but at any rate I’ve never thought “ok going to the range let’s wear flip flops.”

Holy smokes I want to work at an agency that would allow that lol! Yes brass between your toes isn’t a major injury. Nor is hot brass falling down your body armor. It’s more of the concern of a new/novice shooter freaking out about it with a loaded firearm. Also many outdoor ranges have terrain not suitable for flip flops. I suppose I see it as less a problem at indoor ranges... but at any rate I’ve never thought “ok going to the range let’s wear flip flops.”
I dont think its a case of allow it but a case of ignore it because we needed people quick and I made #5. By SOP, we could not go without a minimum of a 6 man team. We turned a road deputy into the trailer and went with 5, I mean 6. When I answered phone I told them I needed to go home and get gear. Said no time come in. I kept the sub gun and level 4 vest in the locker, so that was enough. Lake clothes, tac armour and sub gun.
Thats one of those times I shouldnt have answered my phone since I was not on call.

Last edited:
I would assume this whole thread started over a visit to the Yolo Sportsman's range. They do have some major problems there, and I know some folks that just won't go back again...ever. Some of their range personnel have some real ego problems as they deal with what most would consider a minor infraction.
I shot there years ago, and have no desire to ever go back again...I have my own range in Texas at this point, so good luck in the left state.

As a former resident of Yolo County I can say that the old timers that used to shoot at the public range were outstanding and some were range officers. Sounds like things have gone down hill.

Back