A classic auto

Even though my FEG is only a pretender, it’s a marvelous gun. For a steel gun it feels surprisingly light and balances very nicely. With the magazine disconnect removed the trigger is pretty decent. Mine has been as accurate and reliable as any pistol I own. I picked it up for $250.00 a few years ago just for S&G’s and was very pleasantly surprised at just how nice it is. Maybe someday I’ll get the real deal but for now this one works for me.

S&W revolvers and 1911 guns for me(do own a few others but the these are what get shot mostly). Some have rubber grips but what you gonna do?

I like the slimmer wood panel grips by Hogue on mine....the Pachmayr's were too fat in the mid-section for my taste. Too each his own. Rod Here are the Hogues on one if my 9mm's and a Tom Threepersons open top OWB holster I made up for it.

I like the slimmer wood panel grips by Hogue on mine....the Pachmayr's were too fat in the mid-section for my taste. Too each his own. Rod Here are the Hogues on one if my 9mm's and a Tom Threepersons open top OWB holster I made up for it.

If you would not mind, post a picture of the back of that Tom Threepersons style holster so we see how a belt is attached.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that sometimes folks miss polishing
the sides of the trigger assembly and where they make contact with the frame.
Just a little buffing can really make a difference in some guns.

Not too many folks clean that area very well either.
Few ever fully dissasemble the trigger assembly for cleaning.

Dehermit: Sure, glad to...This an open top, Tom Threepersons style of holster with minimal forward cant, designed to be worn at 3:30-4:00 position. It's snug fitted and in my civilian use, needs no keeper strap.

I use it for CC as well as general carry here on our farm & in town, but do prefer the Askins Avenger type which rides a bit higher. Both are open muzzle types as I make them, allowing debris to fall through but with the gun muzzle 1/4" to 3/8" recessed from the end to preclude picking up snow...mud...whatever when seated.

Best regards, Rod

Last edited:
My first centerfire semiauto was a HP, bought it after seeing the 1973 movie Serpico.
Really liked the gun until a friend let me shoot his Gold Cup.
Traded it for a Gold cup the next day.
Never was a big fan of the punybellum but I've dabbled with them over the years, never could find one as accurate as my beloved 1911's.
About 5 years ago I decided that I missed my HP and began looking for a new one.
Prices were all about 1K and I couldn't see paying that much, then I decided to try a CZ.
Bought an 85 Combat that had almost identical ergonomics and has been the most accurate 9mm I have ever owned. I should add that my reason for getting back into 9mm's was because when I had a lazy spell and didn't feel like re-loading. I could buy a box of 50 for 11 bucks and cheaper if found on sale, boy that ship has not only sailed but has been sunk in the harbor.

Back