A calibre question, not a calibre war.

Read the OP's post. There is no .357 involved here.
Maybe - maybe not...

Elmer Keith loaded up some potent stuff in the .38 spl that rivaled the .357 max (note - not .357 magnum).

.38 spl brass is extremely strong and can stand up to some monster pressures.

Given the OP's limitations, I'd be inclined to go with a .38spl case, a 173 grain bullet and a big dose of Alliant 2400.

Hal OP says no +p so Keith loads are defiantly out of contention.
For my answer I'd go with the 38. Crush cavity is the major wounding factor when discussing handguns especially in these calibers and momentum is really what you need to look at when modeling permanent crush cavity.

Elmer Keith loaded up some potent stuff in the .38 spl that rivaled the .357 max (note - not .357 magnum).

Again....read the OP. No +P even, so certainly no Keith loads. In addition, while some of his and Phill Sharpe's loads rivaled .357 loads, and were in fact the impetus for the .357 S+W magnum, they were no where near .357 Max. territory. You can fill a .38 case full with 2400 and a 173 grain actual Keith slug and not get there. Not enough capacity.

I have done it with Keith's loads and real deal Keith bullets over a chrono. You can get them humming right along, but there are physical limitations.

they were no where near .357 Max. territory
Taffin says he gets over 1400 fps. from the Keith load out of an 8 3/8" barrel.
That's closer to max than it is to mag.

However - you guys are correct - OP said no +P stuff.

38spl

38 has my vote .

A while back I read a report from the FBI doing extensive research on the 38 Spl . Funny thing is , it turned out to be the 125 grain bullet that won out gaining the most penetration with both FMJs and HPs. I thought it odd because we are usually taught that the heavier the bullet the the more it penetrates . Guess this rule doesn't apply all the time.:confused:

Last edited:
Hmmm

I like the .38 Special loaded with a 158 grain LHP.
About calibers....you have three there: .357, .355, .365 across three cartridges...the .38 Spl., the 9X17, the 9X18.
Pete

Some 158-grain .38 special loads aren't just acceptable, they're downright effective. My choice as well. My 1968 Detective Special holds 6 standard-pressure Buffalo Bore LSWCHPs and I feel very assured with it in my winter coat pocket on the rare occasion it get carried.

If I'm being honest the LCP in .380/9x17 is my companion about 95% of the time though. It's not super powerful but I think I could conceal the darn thing wearing a spandex bathing suit.

Back