A Beautiful Target Pistol I Acquired

Quote:
Only American .22 pistol to win at camp Perry.
You may mean only American .22 pistol to win the Olympics?

That makes more sense, Mike38, and that might well be true. There were a ton of .22 autos besides High Standard that won matches at Camp Perry, including a Ruger. In 1953, James E. Clark broke seven National Records and won the National .22 caliber Championship @ Camp Perry using a Mark I Ruger pistol.

Last edited:
I remember in late 50s, HS built a gun with an electric trigger. Was legal for the
Olympics. I have never seen one except pictures.

The High Standard Electric Free Pistol was made under Army contract for the AMU only one was retained by the factory and is now in private hands. There was a patent associated with this pistol in the name of Gary Wilhelm and because it was a government contract the patent was assigned to the Army.

The story about High Standard being the only pistol to win an Olympic gold medal is a claim made by High Standard but is not true. Colt and Smith and Wesson revolvers or pistols won Olympic gold well before High Standard. A factory Colt revolver was first in the early 1900's. That revolver is in the NRA Museum. A S&W single shot pistol won gold in 1920. A Woodsman won the rapid fire Olympic event in 1932.

as many may know, john and I are avid HS shooters, owners, and collectors.
welcome to the fold!
looks like you have a Hartford allen head 5.5" bull trophy.
look in front of your trigger guard. should be an allen headscrew holding your bbl in. make sure its always tight.
that model with the sight bridge has a notorious habit of shaving fingers if you push the slide back and your hand slips or its grabbing too far back when you clear a jam or open the slide. beware.
the Hartford guns bagan having quality issues as HS began going down the tubes. jams? check the mag first.
if its a bbl to frame misalignment, itll be a fatal flaw.
in all my years of shooting HS, cci green tags have never let me down. try them.
watch the gold plated trigger finish. when it starts to recompose, it can interfere with trigger pull. all trophies had that issue.
your gun is missing the external compensator and a weight. if it had one, the filler screws will be missing under the bbl. if they are there, then it was sold without it. these extras most likely got misplaced in your relatives things.
get those parts, and your gun will perform even better.
good luck and enjoy! call us anytime with questions about....(the finest 22 ever made)

I'm guessing the barrel is 5.5", difficult to say because the picture was taken at an angle. All my HS pistols are/were 5.5" and also available in 3.5", I think.

Military grip Supermatic Trophys were only available in the 5.50" barrel like this gun or the 7.25" fluted barrel. Other models had barrels as short as 4.50" and as long as 10.00"

That appears to be a SH series, or some people call it 108 series. Lack of push button take down, or at least I don't see one. As I understand it, First year SH were great pistols. Second year, very good. Third year were hit and miss. If there is a V suffix, well, good luck.

It is indeed a 108 series. However your understanding is flawed. You cannot easily quantify quality by year or even by manufacturing location. The late 107 and 108 series guns were just fine. All era's had lemons. There are even a few "V" marked derringers and revolvers form the Hamden era. However all "V" marked guns shipped in June 1984 or later. The real fall in quality was in the August/September 1983 and later time frame. This is when a few pistol models were discontinued and production numbers declined to 0 at the end of the year then production gradually increased until May 1984 after which virtually all pistols shipped were visually impaired and stamped with "V". These "V" marked guns were warranted to function properly sold at discount and could not be returned for appearance reasons.

choice of words around john is CRUCIAL! lol.
maybe the OP can check his serial number and check for a v?
granted, not all Hartford guns were bad.
allow me to rephrase it....the latest v series were the worst. :>

Back