A Beautiful Target Pistol I Acquired

dakota.potts

I have always wanted a High Standard .22. In fact, there's a Sport King at a local shop that I had been looking at for a little while. But I'm in a busy spot right now where I'm saving money for something really important to me and trying to focus on my future goals. So gun purchases were not something I wanted to be making, and a .22 pistol was way down on my list of necessities.

Recently, a not-quite-blood relative passed. I had talked with him a few times and he was a respectable man, an adventurer, and a collector of many fine things. He had an outstanding knife collection and a smaller gun collection that featured some very high quality firearms. I was told that they were selling off some of his collection and sent pictures, and to my surprise, there were two High Standard .22s in there. His wife no longer wanted them and was trying to slim down on possessions. I told them what the guns were approximately worth, and then offered $500 for one (much lower than market value) as that's all I was in a position to offer. Generous people that they are, and knowing that I would get use out of it and handle it with the care it deserved, they accepted my offer. And that's how I ended up in possession of an early 1980's High Standard Supermatic Trophy.

I only have one picture for now, snapped quick at the range.
P2lSdFdl.jpg

It is a beautiful pistol, and you can tell that it was built at a time when craftsmanship in production guns was more revered. The bluing is very nice and in good condition. The wood on the grips is quite nice, and the contour on the grip is great for target shooting.

So far I have only shot a couple of boxes of ammo out of it. CCI standard and Aguila Eley Primed subsonic. Extraction and ejection was flawless even with the subsonic ammo but I had a number of feeding hiccups. I noticed the chamber was fouling heavily and I will take it down for a good cleaning to see if this solves the issue. I have read that this is common with these guns and they may need a magazine adjustment. The Aguila subsonic consistently fed with the bullet nose high and would not load unless I pressed the tip of the bullet down with my index finger, but the CCI standard shows promise of feeding very well with a clean chamber and maybe some very slight magazine adjustment.

The trigger on this gun is superb. I have read that is set at around 2 lbs. from the factory. I don't have a trigger pull gauge but I absolutely believe it. There is a small amount of take up, a very easy break, and a very short re-set that makes the gun very easy to shoot. The sights are nice and clear and adjustable. The gun, although surprisingly heavy, balances very well in the hand. It seems to balance and shoot almost as easily in one-handed bullseye position as it does with two hands.

I was shooting at a digital range so I have no paper targets to show but I know this gun is a great shooter. Soon I will try to take it to the public range with a sandbag and see what kind of groups I can get at 15 and 25 yards with it.

I just wanted to share my appreciation for this unexpected and very welcome opportunity to own this gun.

Great pistol...I shot one for 4 years on the USAF Academy Pistol Team (64-68)...our coach, a Senior Msgt could break clay birds on the rifle team's range...the butts were 110 yards out and we'd lay those 4" birds out there and watch that old man (he was all of 34 at the time) break 'em one after the other. You've got a keeper there! Congrats. Rod

The High Standard 107 Trophy was my very first bullseye pistol. I put over 10,000 rounds through that gun in practice and competitions. It served me well.
Two things to note.
They do have a possiblilty of cracking in the frame with high velocity ammo. Mine did eventually, but a good welder repaired it.
2nd, they are prone to peening on the edge of the chamber on dry firing.

Barrels can be replaced in various lengths and configurations.

I had a pair of those when I started shooting NRA bullseye matches way back when....moved to S&W 41’s, then Pardini’s. Then I found the Walter GSP’s and still shoot those. The High Standards are great pistols if you have magazines that function 100%. Good luck with yours!!

Classic American Bullseye pistol; shared in an elite company of quality, high grade target pistols with the likes of Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson and Browning over the past several decades. Take good care of the magazine(s) as the followers on them serve as the feed ramp on High Standard pistols.

I guess I'm old school. What's a digital range?

The range is a high-tech indoor range which displays a video screen over a cement backstop. This records your bullet hits, displays them on the target, and has interactive modes such as games and moving targets. It's a fun experience.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I did a little research before shooting so I have stayed away from high velocity ammo. It did much better with the CCI standard at 1070 FPS. Ejection was flawless as well with the Aguila subsonic. I enjoy shooting the lower velocity ammo in a semi auto, especially since it tends to shoot well in my CZ 452. The issue is definitely with the feed angle as the rounds tended to feed high (Aguila subsonic) or stick going into the chamber. That's why I think the CCI standards will probably feed with the chamber cleaned, but the Aguila subsonics will likely need the magazine adjustment. It will need a little tuning but it will make a good project.

I've also avoided dry fire even though it meant waiting on trying out the trigger. All in all I'm very happy.

I own two. 70s manufacture. I have bought two more as spare parts. The best rimfires. The magazines are its weak point. I have also had broken springs, broken pins and worn sears. Natural for 40 year old heavily used pistols...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm guessing the barrel is 5.5", difficult to say because the picture was taken at an angle. All my HS pistols are/were 5.5" and also available in 3.5", I think.

The only one

Only American .22 pistol to win at camp Perry.

I have a very early Supermatic with lever release, it is a keeper.

High Standards are fine pistols and make today's offerings look like junk. My
1st Hi-Sd was a HD Military 50yrs ago. There has been thousands of rds through
it and still tight and slick as new. I have had several of the more expensive
models but only managed to hold on to the HD Military. I was in 22 target pistol
mode in 70s had Brn Medalist, S&W 41, Colt Woodsman Match, Citation. Got in
M70 pre 64 mode and traded some off. I regret that. The last 2 I bought was
a Victor and Sharp Shooter in 80s. While nice pistols they weren't as slick as
ones. I just bought another HD Mil with 7" barrel haven't had time to shoot it
yet.

That appears to be a SH series, or some people call it 108 series. Lack of push button take down, or at least I don't see one. As I understand it, First year SH were great pistols. Second year, very good. Third year were hit and miss. If there is a V suffix, well, good luck.

I had a first year High Standard Citation "SH" pistol. Amazingly accurate. Balanced well. I just could not work that trigger. I prefer a roll trigger in target pistols.

Last edited:
Back