A 9mm with recoil like a .380?

You got my attention... would like to try it out and see how it "feels" in my 9mm's. That said, as has been mentioned, just checked a few local gun stores, and nobody has it. Haven't looked online yet.

Had a chance to chronograph some of the 65 grain poly ARX through various pistols today.
Glock 19................1730 fps! = 432 fpe screaming fast out of a stock pistol
Shield....................1615 fps = 377 fpe (foot pounds energy)
Kahr PM9................1590 fps = 365 fpe
FPS were average of two or three rounds all within 20fps variance (fps=feet per second velocity)
Recoil was average. A little sharper than 147 grain loads like the Buffalobore at 1000 fps.
when I say sharper, I mean that the recoil seemed to happen faster, but not harder.

There are enough recoil calculators to plug in the appropriate numbers to see what the actual recoil numbers are.

Just out of curiosity, is there any indication that these rounds are designed for use in firearms where the barrel is rifled in a right-hand twist? Seems to me that a left hand twist barrel would force it to behave differently on impact. Granted, left hand twist barrels aren't that common, but they are out there...

I read somewhere that the company stated that in tests, it didn't matter the direction of the barrel twist.

One additional note is that a fully loaded ten round magazine is noticebly lighter than with standard jacketed defense rounds.

USNRet93 said:
For the ARX poly round, research some results and tests when the bullet hit something hard, like bone..it sometimes shattered compromising its penetration. Also some shots thru harder materials, like sheet metal or glass...just for info

I seem to recall this was a designed intention to reduce ricochets. It may compromise the terminal performance, but I could see it optimum for security on ships or other tight quarters with metal walls.

I have a few boxes at home, but haven't done much testing. More real-world data would be beneficial...

ROCK6

Since this round exits the barrel so much faster, I'm curious what it would do in a rifle, like my Ruger PC Carbine (16" barrel). Anyone chrono this 9mm coming out of a carbine or a rifle?

Using Lehigh Xtreme Defender(65g bullet) in my LCP DOES help with recoil for this little snappy handgun..Had some ARX for carry ammo(Glock 42/LCP) but a video about it fragmenting and with really poor penetration when it hit something hard(like a rib) had me switch back to the Lehigh stuff(for my 9mm also)..pricy but great results..Underwood and Blackhills also makes it.

BTW-my Glock 17 recoils like my Glock 42..:)

Attachments

• 20150831_lehigh-defense_Lehigh-Defense-XD-Ammunition-300x300.jpg
    20150831_lehigh-defense_Lehigh-Defense-XD-Ammunition-300x300.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 5
I have only one bothersome question: is Polycase or Inceptor ammo still being made?

The Inceptor website lists retailers, but all of them show the ammo mostly "Out of Stock."

The Inceptor website had a May 2018 news release announcing an online store that is a blank page.

NovX seems to be using the ARX bullets for 9mm ammo that is currently available.
I have no first or even second hand info to back this up, but....

I recall reading a number of posts on various forums (including pix) of these projectiles chipping, cracking, or breaking apart in magazines and while chambering. Given that they are a molded composite, I can see such happening if the mixtures are not correct or the curing is off. That may explain why they don't seem to be readily available.

But even if they fed & functioned perfectly, they are still a gimmick with comparatively lousy penetration IMO. Add in the fact that a molded composite is vastly less expensive to produce then common lead/copper projectiles, yet they were charging premium prices, I wouldn't give them my money on principle alone.

Back