9mm vs. .357 magnum-Myth Busted

Status
Not open for further replies.
The effectiveness of a .357 on a human target is subject for debate.

Only if you have lived in a cave since 1935.

Or the worst, depending on your point of view.

Point of view, or context if you prefer, self defense. Please enlighten me on how the 357 Sig could be the worst choice for Self defense?

In the military we call handguns “sidearms”, and they’re not much more than a status symbol, because they suck at killing men. They’re what you use when you’re out of ammo, or have desk duty.

Actually with the right ammo handguns are downright deadly. You cannot use the military context for comparison of civilian self defense. Why most people shot with handguns in the US survive has to do with prompt trauma management more than anything else.

No question they’re lethal. So is a knife. So is an arrow. Rifles are just a lot more lethal, and a much better tool for making living things dead. I agree on the proximity of advanced trauma treatment, though we’ve gotten a lot better at that in the field.

Carring around a rifle around is not as practical for most people. We make compromises where we feel it suits us, but I know a lot of people who keep a rifle in their truck. The pistol is there already, so it is better in most cases, but I don’t think it silly to keep more firepower as close as is practicle if you keep the truck locked and it’s alarmed.

Please enlighten me on how the 357 Sig could be the worst choice for Self defense?

Can't. Won't. Because, it's not. And, its not what I said, either. .357 Sig is not the worst choice for self defense. The two worlds involved are firepower (capacity) and power (which can be either actual energy, or bullet size, depending on who's doing the talking)

Some say it's the best of both worlds, meaning you get some or even most of the benefits of both. Others will say it's the worst, because you get neither of the biggest advantages of both. Same thing is said about the .40S&W.

Best of both worlds (a compromise), you get "almost" the capacity of the 9mm, and "almost" the power of the .357. (or in the case of the .40, "almost" the big bullet of the .45)

Worst of both worlds, you don't get as much capacity as a 9mm, and you don't get the full power and versatility of the .357 Magnum.... remember, it doesn't have to make good sense, its an opinion. ;)

In the military we call handguns “sidearms”, and they’re not much more than a status symbol, because they suck at killing men

They're called sidearms, because they are worn on the side of the body.

You cannot use the military context for comparison of civilian self defense.

Agreed. While they do share some things in common, there are significant differences, which make direct comparison meaningless.

Rifles are just a lot more lethal, and a much better tool for making living things dead.

I agree that generally the rifle is the better tool, but there are situations where it isn't. And, also, there is no such thing as "a lot more lethal". Dead is dead. There is no "deader" than dead. Rifles are more likely to be lethal, they are not "more lethal". A nuance of language, but one I think should be kept in mind.

This thread should be museum mounted. Lots of boards don’t allow caliber wars precisely because it turns into this.

It’s the hand that wields more than the tool in it.

In the military we call handguns “sidearms”, and they’re not much more than a status symbol, because they suck at killing men. They’re what you use when you’re out of ammo, or have desk duty.

There hasn’t been a cop who has killed a lot of men (19) since Jelly Bryce. I don’t think you can anymore. A cop who is known for killing men would get fired today. Bryce would draw on the drop and win by being so fast and putting the shot wherever he wanted. He did it with a .44 Special and a .357 revolver. Just saying. Real dude. Real gunfighter.

The only friends I have who have killed a lot of men did it with a rifle, and if you haven’t been in a lot of firefights and killed a lot of men they’re not going to talk to you. Going hunting with them this weekend!
Many people say that handguns suck at killing people. Most police and civilian shootings of people that were killed, are killed, BY FAR, more with handguns then rifles.

Semantics. I would guess a lot more people also survive being shot with a handgun, which is fine. I carry one for protection, not for killing. If a .380 stops the attack it’s done it’s job and is a win. If I expected a gunfight I’m not going to be weaponing up with a handgun; not a high cap 9mm, and not a .500 Magnum.

I love shooting handguns. I have a mess of them. I’m not against them. Just being realistic. I like knives too, but I carry a handgun.

This thread should be museum mounted. Lots of boards don’t allow caliber wars precisely because it turns into this.

Well I kind of agree, and yet, we are still all being civil to each other and regularly some good points are being brought up so I don't think its turned into one of 'those' threads, the reportable kind, yet.

I don't really have anything else to contribute except to say I've enjoyed the thread and hope everyone contributing sticks around.

Many people say that handguns suck at killing people.
That's really not at issue here. The issue is that handguns are less effective than long arms in stopping people rapidly.

Most police and civilian shootings of people that were killed, are killed, BY FAR, more with handguns then rifles.
What does that have to do with self defense?

I agree.

I am a daily watcher of Liveleak, which posts new videos of police officer involved shootings (and body camera footage) and civillian shootings as well.

I'll have to say, handguns sure as hell don't seem as ineffective as many Internet gurus tend to think for whatever reasons. In fact they usually do the intended job of stopping the threat quite well.

Someone above mentioned handguns "suck at killing men."

Well quite frankly for our purposes, we do not necessarily want to kill anybody. Do you WANT to end the live of a human being? Or do yo want to STOP them? Obviously death can easily be the result of a justifiable self defense shooting, but it is not the goal of said shooting.

Sometimes these shooting videos don't end well for the officers. Perhaps they were ambushed, didn't have time to draw their weapons, but when they do and when lethal force is necessary, I'm sorry but handguns are effective defensive weapons.

The proof is in the pudding.

Well quite frankly for our purposes, we do not necessarily want to kill anybody. Do you WANT to end the live of a human being? Or do yo want to STOP them? Obviously death can easily be the result of a justifiable self defense shooting, but it is not the goal of said shooting.

That is one glaring problem of trying to use a military context to civilian defense.

I agree.

I am a daily watcher of Liveleak, which posts new videos of police officer involved shootings (and body camera footage) and civillian shootings as well.

I'll have to say, handguns sure as hell don't seem as ineffective as many Internet gurus tend to think for whatever reasons. In fact they usually do the intended job of stopping the threat quite well.

"Handguns suck at stopping people" or some version of it is parroted because its what they read.

If a person was shot from the side, as shooting a broadside deer, one bullet could perforate both lungs, the person (like a deer) would have up to ten seconds of voluntary action remaining; that doesn't correlate with suck, because a .243 would allow the same amount of time on a double lung hit.

People attacking someone would typically be shot facing forward, one bullet might get one lung but not both, time remaining for voluntary action has now increased; doesn't mean the bullet sucked, person still has one functional lung.

Equally annoying to the handguns suck cliche are the "doctors can't tell a difference" and "temporary cavity from handguns doesn't do any damage / matter".
Broad generalizations.

There are two possibilities:
(1.) There are photos of damage from different handgun rounds indicating the caliber and bullet used, for example subjects A, B, C shot with 9mm/40/45 HST, subjects D, E, F shot with 9mm/40/45 Gold Dot, and G, H, I were Golden Saber in 9mm/40/45 and a team of medical professionals can't discern any wound difference, how about you? Pics available for layperson review.
(2.) There are not comparison pics, rather this cliche is based on anecdotal observations of doctors more focused on saving a patients life than differentiating between the damage done by different bullets.

I assume it to be the 2nd of the two possibilities, possibility 1 would be a published book.

KE doesn't matter at handgun velocity generalization:
Very likely that differences in caliber and bullet type aside most people shot by police and civilians alike are with handgun bullets generating less than 400# KE including 9mm, 40, 45 and it is possible that less than 400# KE doesn't result in obvious or meaningful temporary cavity effect.

I've seen 2,000 fps cited as the velocity at which damage from the temporary cavity isn't so temporary, starts to matter. I am skeptical that there is zero difference below the 2,000 fps threshold. Makes more sense that it might be zero effect at 1,000 fps, (350# KE) but some difference at 1,300 fps (500-600# KE) increasing with velocity (KE) up to 2,000 fps where apparently the effect is wow. (deer lungs turned into pulp)

Less commonly used carry calibers capable of generating 500+# KE are 357 Sig and 10mm.
Temporary cavity effect in gel is dismissed by "KE don't matter" people because gel is not tissue, accurate statement.
Find an example where someone took the time to take pics of a deer they shot with 10mm and the reply is "just one deer" or damage bigger than the bullet on entry is not the same as lungs, need to see the lungs. (actual replies)

I like deer meat and I've bowkilled a couple dozen.
Gun season opens soon and I'm taking a Delta Elite 10mm, not a bow.
Bullet is 155 XTP @ 1,400 fps (my chrono average) generating 675# KE at muzzle.
According to ballistics calculator that will have about 1,330 fps /608# KE at 18 yards, anticipated distance at which hopefully a deer will be shot.
If successful, I will see for myself whether 600# KE produces any tissue damage beyond the diameter of the bullet (temporary cavity effect that aint so temporary).
If no, then parroted generalization of "KE don't matter at handgun velocity" accurate enough. However, if there is 1.5 inch of pulverized lung tissue from a bullet that only expands to .65 then the generalization is mythbusted and I will have pics for peer (layperson) ;) review.
Subsequent generalization parroted on internet will have to include a disclaimer like "KE don't matter from commonly used ;) handguns" cause it would not apply to someone carrying a Glock 20 or Delta Elite with ammo producing excess of 600# KE.

It’s the hand that wields more than the tool in it.

There hasn’t been a cop who has killed a lot of men (19) since Jelly Bryce. I don’t think you can anymore. A cop who is known for killing men would get fired today. Bryce would draw on the drop and win by being so fast and putting the shot wherever he wanted. He did it with a .44 Special and a .357 revolver. Just saying. Real dude. Real gunfighter.

The only friends I have who have killed a lot of men did it with a rifle, and if you haven’t been in a lot of firefights and killed a lot of men they’re not going to talk to you. Going hunting with them this weekend!
I see you have no problem doing your part to help the caliber war along...

Good thing this discussion is about handgun bullets, lest we start debating "Brush busting" rifle rounds for deer hunting. ??????

I would argue that dead "faster" would qualify as more lethal.

I believe that one of the old west gunfighters aluded too when asked why he carried a 44-40 instead of a 36 navy. The 36 killed em, just not fast enough.

KE doesn't matter at handgun velocity generalization:
Very likely that differences in caliber and bullet type aside most people shot by police and civilians alike are with handgun bullets generating less than 400# KE including 9mm, 40, 45 and it is possible that less than 400# KE doesn't result in obvious or meaningful temporary cavity effect.

I've seen 2,000 fps cited as the velocity at which damage from the temporary cavity isn't so temporary, starts to matter. I am skeptical that there is zero difference below the 2,000 fps threshold. Makes more sense that it might be zero effect at 1,000 fps, (350# KE) but some difference at 1,300 fps (500-600# KE) increasing with velocity (KE) up to 2,000 fps where apparently the effect is wow. (deer lungs turned into pulp)

Less commonly used carry calibers capable of generating 500+# KE are 357 Sig and 10mm.
Temporary cavity effect in gel is dismissed by "KE don't matter" people because gel is not tissue, accurate statement.
Find an example where someone took the time to take pics of a deer they shot with 10mm and the reply is "just one deer" or damage bigger than the bullet on entry is not the same as lungs, need to see the lungs. (actual replies)

I like deer meat and I've bowkilled a couple dozen.
Gun season opens soon and I'm taking a Delta Elite 10mm, not a bow.
Bullet is 155 XTP @ 1,400 fps (my chrono average) generating 675# KE at muzzle.
According to ballistics calculator that will have about 1,330 fps /608# KE at 18 yards, anticipated distance at which hopefully a deer will be shot.
If successful, I will see for myself whether 600# KE produces any tissue damage beyond the diameter of the bullet (temporary cavity effect that aint so temporary).
If no, then parroted generalization of "KE don't matter at handgun velocity" accurate enough. However, if there is 1.5 inch of pulverized lung tissue from a bullet that only expands to .65 then the generalization is mythbusted and I will have pics for peer (layperson) review.
Subsequent generalization parroted on internet will have to include a disclaimer like "KE don't matter from commonly used handguns" cause it would not apply to someone carrying a Glock 20 or Delta Elite with ammo producing excess of 600# KE.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15661

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back