9mm suggestions for small hands

bastiat

My wife has small 'baby hands'. My HS2000 is too big for her to get a good grip, and it's very difficult for her to rack the slide.

She's never shot a gun before, so I don't want her to struggle with a gun that she can't handle and get discouraged. I'd like to stick to 9mm to keep the range costs down, and so I only have to pack one kind of ammo on the trip to the range. I don't want to buy a .22 at this point, since I can always borrow my dad's if needed.

CCW is not an option in my state, so that doesn't need to be considered.

I'm currently researching the Kel Tec P11 and Kahr P9. The Kel Tec has the advantage now, since she didn't like the fact that the kahrs are only 7+1. Plus I've been quoted a price of $250 for the chromed slide p11 (she likes the look) which seems pretty good.

I'd like something that is basically reliable and comfortable to shoot, so she won't get have a bad experience at the range and not want to practice. I'd also like to keep the price under $500. I can't rent either of these two guns at the range, so I'm going to need all the input I can get to help with my decision.

If hand strength is a concern, than I think the Kel-Tec would be ruled out. It's DAO trigger pull is both longer, and heavier than the Elite trigger equipped P9. The reach may also be an issue, as it is a double column mag design; whereas, the P9 is as slim as they come.

I think the way to go is with the Kahr. It is pricier than the Kel-Tec but worth every penny. Great trigger, soft recoil. Most of all, it has a very slim and comfortable grip. The K9 is slim, and the P9 is even slimmer, almost to the point of being too thin.

You should consider the steel K9 instead of the P9. Steel is much heavier. Since CCW is not an issue, you might want to go with the heavier one to get a softer-recoiling, friendlier weapon.

I too have baby hands and my K9 fits me far better than any other gun I have held, including the P9 and the Kel-Tec. Its soft rubber grips are great. The weight doesn't bother me. It doesn't feel "heavy" as much as it feels "dense" and "solid."

Many small guns will have stiff slide springs, including the Kahrs. I think your wife may overcome this with mere practice. Even someone with very low upper body strength can rack guns with stiff springs; I have found that it is more a matter of technique than raw strength.

It's not really a matter of strength, it's more being able to get a good grip on the gun. She can't really get a good grip around the grip, and grabbing the slide seems awkward as well. It's hard to re-create and describe the problem exactly, since I have rather long fingers/hands.

I'd say take a look around and see if you can scout up a Sig P225. A good buddy of mine in Virginia has VERY small hands for a man, and the P225 is his favorite gun. I have monstrous hands, and can't get a decent grip on it.

I'd also second the advice to stay away from the Kel-Tec. If you need further confirmation, YOU try the trigger. You won't want one for her afterwards.

I have no experience with Kahr, but have never heard an owner say a bad thing about them.

Another possibility might be the Glock 26. I wouldn't steer you toward the G27 because the .40 S&W is probably going to scare the crap out of her.

Bob's Bottom Line Advice: Take her to the range! Rent or borrow as many good pistols as you can and let her try them. One or two will speak up for themselves, and then you'll be down the road of deciding between a couple rather than a dozen. Good luck!

A second on the Sig P225 and a second on going to the range and renting a bunch. If she has never shot before, I would also recommend taking her somewhere outdoors (it's quieter and there isn't any percussive abuse from all the big guns) and get acclimated to the idea with a .22 ... a little patience goes a LONG way on this one! And she doesn't have to be shooting the .44 MAG for it to scare her ... the guy in the next lane can do that for you :>( Oh ... one more thing ... if you do go to an indoor range: have her double plug (earplugs in addition to muffs) she'll thank you by wanting to go back again and again!
Saands

I have small hands for a man, and currently my favorite semiauto is Steyr M9. It is also very pleasant to shoot, tanks to low boreline recoil flip is very low, and with the new trigger my M9's trigger pull is better in DAO than some other guns with SA. M9 is just a little larger than HK USP Compact or Glock 19. Also, "compact" semiautos are often easier to shoot well than "subcompacts" (when concealment is not number one priority).

Guns with short but fat grips, like Glock 26, are not always better for people with small hands. The problem is the thickness, not the length of the grip, and a short but fat grip can feel uncomfortable while holding a gun under recoil. And yes, I think some light weight 9mm guns do recoil, even if some others claim that nothing under .45 does.

Ossi

Just a thought...

try the Browning Hi-Power. I have smallish hands as well, and despite the fact that it is a double stack 9mm, it feels like it was molded to mine.

Mike

The SIG P239 sounds like the ticket for your wife. It has a single-stack magazine and a very narrow grip, long enough for a full three-finger hold. The 239 was designed with small-handed folks in mind.

The *&* 3913 "Ladysmith" is also a fine single-stack 9mm with a nicely contoured, slim grip.

Have her try either of those two guns, and get her the one that feels best in her hand.

bastiat:

I teach basic pistol classes and have taught a number of women. Women often have two issues with handguns: 1) short fingers that can't reach the trigger comfortably and 2) weak hands/arms that have trouble racking the slide.

For the first issue, short fingers, look for a single stack gun. For the second issue, stay away the ultra-compacts, like the MK9 or Glock 26. They tend to have heavy recoil springs that make it harder for someone with little arm/hand strength to operate the slide.

I have three Kahrs (K40, K9, and MK9). The K9 would be a very good choice. I definitely recommend the Kahr over the Kel-tec.

Glock 26? Nope, double stack magazine. And short barrel also gives a heavy recoil spring.

S&W 3913 would also work. As would a Sig P239. Realize that they are DA/SA which requires a bit more training than a DAO (or striker fired) gun like the Kahr.

M1911

The MK9 Kahr is the winner hands down. If the trigger pull is a bit much Wolff makes a lighter striker spring for it. She'll love it, and you for getting it for her. Stay safe.

I would very much agree with those who advocate the Sig P225. It is my favorite gun and I have medium/small hands for a guy. It has a full length grip, but is a single stack so has a smaller circumference. The 239 is also good, but since it you said it would not be for concealed carry, the 225 might be a little better because:

1 it is slightly heavier to reduce recoil
2 it has a longer barrel and thus longer sight radius
3 if you shop around, you can probably find them for about the same price.

And not to sound elitist, but its a Sig. (and under $500.)

Well, that's my .02

If capacity isn't an issue (it usually is for me), try a single stack anything. Sig 225 or 239, and any Single stack S&W are the first the come to mind. The Walther P5 and HK P7 may be out of your price range.

If it is an issue, and you want a double stack, check out the HK USP or the Walther P99. Both have small grips which I enjoy.

The one thing I'd add is that since this will not be a CCW piece, size is not really an issue. For home defense and range use, I'd go with a mid to full sized gun, rather than something like a Kahr, Kel-Tec, or Mini-Glock.

Ditto what Poplin said ...

The Kahr K9 is going to be the best choice. I too have small hands, and found the K9 to "almost" perfect - I say "almost" because actually the gun was a bit too small for me, the trigger reach being too close and cramped. However, the gun was probably the most accurate semi-auto I've ever owned for both intrinsic accuracy and for practical accuracy. I remember being able to shoot 1.5 inch groups with some practice at about 20 yds.

The DAO trigger on mine (an early model) was very light and buttery smooth, with a rolling break off that allowed accuracy on par with a single-action gun with a little practice. I don't think you'll find a better DAO pull on any automatic.

Poplin is right, forget the plastic pistols. In a smallish automatic, you WANT a little weight there to help dampen the recoil, of which the Kahr K9 has very little.

If it sounds like I regret selling my Kahr, well, I do. It had real quality about it, with fit being like a Swiss Watch. In short, it was a real sweetheart, and I could have lived with it except for one reason - the blue/brown finish would not stay on and the thing would accrue surface rust no matter what oil I put on it or how often I did so.

I'd like to have another one, maybe the .40 version, but DEFINITELY IN STAINLESS THIS TIME.

Good luck.

Back