9MM out to 400 yards!

My Browning Hi Power Capitan has a tangent iron rear that may be positioned up to 500 yards/meters (I'd need to look). Pretty optimistic imo. I'll stay 25 yards and under.

David :)

I have a book which describing the Sterling sub machine-gun states that the ballistics of the cartridge 115gr @1240fts make its use beyond 200yds a waste of ammo. wasting ammo is something the Brits have never liked to do.

There tends to be a huge gulf between 'it's not effective at that range' and 'I'd be glad to stand at that range and let you shoot at me with it', though, doesn't there? :)

Larry

by thick jacket I don't mean fluffy and down, I mean like Carhartt or other heavy duty jacket. I'm not saying that you would not injured, I'm just saying that it is a huge leap to say that just a bullet would still be lethal because it still penetrates a sheet of plywood at that range...

Bullet penetrates plywood sheet? Put on your barn coat, you'll be fine. Right.

A 9mm bullet at 400 yards probably won't get the 12" of penetration in gel after passing through 4 layers of denim that most people think is some magic combination for handgun effectiveness. That doesn't mean it can't kill.

"...is going to have roughly..." That from some computer program? Speer, like every other manufacturer, shows 147 grain jacketed ballistics for up to 100 yards, only. A 147 starting at 986 fps with 317 ft-lbs. at the muzzle has 887 fps with 257 ft/lbs. at 100. Won't have 755fps and 186ft-lbs left at 400.
Computer programs are mostly created by people who know nothing about firearms. And there are far too many variables for any program to actually mean anything.
Denim is not in any way bullet resistant, never mind proof, at any distance.

Back