9mm Nato or nonsense?

More than likely ...
Loaded to NATO pressures and velocities, but lacking any sealant to make it water-resistant. Therefor it gets the 'Not fer killin' people with' label.

TheDevilThatYouKnow More than likely ...
Loaded to NATO pressures and velocities, but lacking any sealant to make it water-resistant. Therefor it gets the 'Not fer killin' people with' label.
No, as mentioned above, NATO means it meets NATO specs. And that includes ALL NATO specs.

Since ammunition plants run both military and commercial contracts, having an overrun of NATO spec ammo is quite common. For example the Lake City plant may order 10 million 9mm brass cases with the NATO headstamp to fulfill a military order for 8 million rounds. They don't stop the machinery when they get to 8 million, they keep going. The excess is packaged for commercial sale, yet meets all NATO specs.

This is true not just with 9x19, but 5.56 and 7.62 as well.

I called Glock and asked if the Nato or Russian 9mm ammo was okay to use in my Gen 4 Glock 19. their answer was it was okaynto use but really clean your 19 every time you use foreign ammo.I got the impresion that American made ammo
was preferable. Call me old fashioned but I try to buy American made ammo, but maybe that's just me.

rock185, most 9mm manufacturers want to be able to
provide to NATO, not to mention that the average
9mm round is loaded to NATO spec, in order to cycle
most pistols made for 9mm reliably.

I'm sure there are manufacturers who make 9mm
rounds which
don't adhere to NATO specs, but most do, without all
the "NATO" hype and BS.

So while what you're parsing IS technically correct, what
you're SHOOTING, is, more than likely, NATO acceptable
ammo. Sorry...

9mm Nato or nonsense

I bought some Win NATO 9mm at Academy for 10.99 box Saturday.
Maybe some don't like the recoil and noise.
It is hotter at about 1200 fps and 124 grain bullet.
My Hi Power likes it as far as accuracy.
It kicks more and batters the frame a bit more as well a louder report.
I have seen other 9mm loads designated as NATO loads with 95 grain and 115 bullets as well as the 124 grain.
Velocities were in the 1300s maybe bit more for the German stuff 95 grain loads.
I probably have some still in all the stuff yet to be unpacked from the move.

Tinbucket said:
I have seen other 9mm loads designated as NATO loads with 95 grain and 115 bullets as well as the 124 grain.
I think you may be mistaken about the first one, because NATO STANAG 4090—the document that contains the standards—calls for a bullet weight of 7.0g (108gr) to 8.3g (128gr) inclusive.

FWIW the 124gr weight seems to be a de facto United States manufacturer standard for obscure reasons; I've never seen verifiable documentation explaining why. However, you are correct that other weights are used in other countries, and some of this ammo has historically been sold on the U.S. commercial market as surplus.

I bought 500 round of GI 9 MM "NATO" at a gun show. It was WCC, I know it was NATO cause it came in the GI brown boxes.

I know it was "liberated" from the NG, legally or not I don't know.

It was a good price but had the crimped primers. It shot good, no better or worse then any other ammo.

I liked my reloads better. I used it in Run and Gun matches, because I didn't care if I got my brass back or not. I have way too much 9mm brass to fool with prepping brass with crimped primers.

Frankly I don't care if its NATO or not, it goes bang every time I'm happy, my 92FS didn't care either, if it looks like 9mm it will shoot it.

But my Dillion RL1000 didn't like it. Crimped primer pockets cause jams, which cost me time.

I just don't see why people get all hyped up with the NATO or Mil Spec stuff.

But to each his own.

I just don't see why people get all hyped up with the NATO or Mil Spec stuff.

Wouldn't describe myself as hyped up but, I like the ammo for practice in my carry gun because it's as cheap as any practice ammo available yet is loaded such that it shoots like and feels like the expensive carry ammo I use. Saves me a bunch of money. It has no other MOJO other than that and the fact that it is quality, consistent ammo. At $10 or less per box I'll take all I can. :cool:

Back