9mm Luger ammo - 115, 124, or 147 grain?

u43d6Qo.jpg
It's be-ginning to look a lot like Christmas....

Persoanlly (sic) I do not think you can pick just one ammo for all guns, . Try them all out.
(Note: it would have been easier to just correct the spelling from "Persoanlly" to "Personally" but I always wanted to use (sic) and now I have. :D

I like the above advice. Life is short.

A few years back during an outing with a friend and a 10mm all we could find was Sellier & Bellot at the local Cabela's but the good news was it was on sale. We had good luck with it and my friend still uses it to this day so I expect you'll be okay with it.

Good Luck.

For years the typical police 9mm loading was a 124 gr HP at about 1250-1300 fps depending on barrel length. The military NATO load is a 124 gr bullet at about 1200-1250 fps. That is less than 100 fps slower than typical 357 mag loads when fired from 4" or shorter barrels.

Years ago when everyone thought speed was the answer 115 gr +P loads were somewhat popular with some police agencies, but I don't know of any currently going that light. Most that I'm aware of are still using the 124 @ 1300 fps.

Early 147 gr loads at around 900 fps were designed for suppressed fire and early 147 gr hp bullets did not expand reliably at the slower speeds. They earned a bad reputation that still hangs around.

But newer 147 gr hp bullets have proven to work very well and there are now loads in the 1000-1100 fps range. According to the FBI that is the load they think works best and what they carry now.

I have a lot of 124 gr +P ammo that runs around 1250 fps from my guns and that is what I usually carry in my 9mm pistols. But I've experimented some with the better 147 gr loads and will probably move in that direction when I shoot up all my 124 gr ammo.

For practice I can still get 115 FMJ for around $8/box. That is what I use at the range. At ranges out to 15-20 yards there isn't enough difference in POI to matter regardless of which ammo is in my guns. Yours may be different.

If you have a gun that works with anything, all the time..for range ammo, whatever is cheapest(probably 115g). If you have a finicky gun in terms of ammunition type and maker, get some and try it first.

I get whatever is cheapest, 115mm...for range/plink..gonna do that this morning with youngest son..

Glock 26/4, Glock 17/4, Glock 45(son's)...

I generally buy the same grain practice ammo that I use for self defense.
It just makes sense and if possible try to buy the same brand for TP & SD.

115 gr is usually cheapest.
124 gr is often spicy NATO spec (about +P).
147 is subsonic and retains the most velocity from short barrels, possibly at the expense of recoil.

Shoot at least a few magazines of each through each gun before you make up your mind. Some guns just don't like aluminum cased ammo.

USNRET93: said:
If you have a gun that works with anything, all the time..for range ammo, whatever is cheapest(probably 115g). If you have a finicky gun in terms of ammunition type and maker, get some and try it first. I get whatever is cheapest, 115mm...for range/plink..gonna do that this morning with youngest son..Glock 26/4, Glock 17/4, Glock 45(son's)...

The targets don’t know the difference, with cheaper range ammo, I can shoot more rounds. All of my Glocks will shoot just about anything I load into them, a little bit of gunsmithing can help a lot with this.

Whatever your defense ammo is, it's best your practice ammo be the same projectile weight, even tho it's very likely they'll shoot to a different POI, it's just that a POI shift with a different weight is guaranteed.

I use to not like 147 because I thought it was too much for 9mm, but after seeing how well it performs handguns and PCC's at distance, I've rethought it. The downside of 147 gr is it will be more expensive than 115 and 124.

124 I'm not really sure what the benefit is. It might be hotter than 115, but it's not that much hotter.

115 is great for guns like the LC9s or for low recoil. It's probably my favorite load in 9mm and I like that Winchester and Remington make cheap JHP's in 115 that work, even from short barrels.

Obviously, shoot whatever you shoot best with or your gun shoots best with.

In my experience, the smaller nines seem more reliable with heavier weight bullets. I've been gradually replacing my stock of 115 gr range ammo with 124, which works in all of my guns, even the Solo, most of the time.

I handload pretty much 124 gr RN's exclusively. Only reason is the fact my Uzi model B is ammo fussy and won't cycle 115 gr ammo unless it's loaded really "warm". I have a great 124 gr load that shoots excellent within all my 9mm firearms. I also load 147 gr subsonics for the Uzi as well.

Update --

I checked in with my retired police chief/instructor friend to see what his current recommendation is for 9mm ammo. Got an e-mail back from him Saturday evening.

9mm…124gr HST, Ranger T, or Golden Saber…non bonded….standard pressure.

Back