9mm Largo

I had several Stars & Astras in Largo and also the Destroyer carbine. They would
fire 38Super. The thickness of the rims on 38Super concerned me. I was afraid
extended use of 38Super cases would case extractor breakage. I turned the rims
to thin on Rem 38super cases to put my mind at ease. It's a PIA to do when you
always loose a few cases with the pistols. All the Largo ammo ( factory) that I
have bought was Berdan primed. I have also used these cases in several other
1st generation auto pistols with good results. It may have not been necessary
but it's better than breakage on 100yr old + pistols. The Star & Astra can handle
a few 38Super or 38acp but the older pistols should not be shot with either. When I load, its mild and with cast bullets.

The use of 38 super in Spanish pistols chambered for 9mm Largo or for that matter any pistol not chambered for the cartridge is just plain stupidity. Use the caliber for which the firearm was designed or risk severe injury to yourself and others.

extractors are a weak part in them, if it breaks you may never be able to find a replacement. If mine does it will just become a single shot due to the sentimental value it will stay with me till I am no longer with us.

External extractors for Star pistols are not very complex or difficult to make. Any real gunsmith should be able to make one without making you take out a mortgage on the place.
I lost a Budischowsky extractor once when it flew out into the unknown. I spent an hour on my hands and knees looking in the shop for it and finally realized that even I myself could make one easier than than examining every chip on the floor. I went to a local gas station and bought a stainless Chinese knife, the thickness of the 440 blade was the same as the slot in the slide.

Within 45 minutes I had a working extractor that still works years later, all without having a sample to get dimensions from. So, it's not worth retiring a gun over or calling it a single shot.
I mean, if I can do it. And mine even looks original. I think most guys with a few tools and determination could make one.

Since writing my post I realized that the broken extractor was possibly on a Mauser type bolt. Such an extractor would be very much more difficult to make.

Back