9mm bullet shape

For what it's worth, my RMR 124 grain truncated cone (they call them "match winner") bullets have been noticeably more accurate out of my Hi Power than any round nose design.

The 124 gr. Truncated Cone was the original ammo designed for the P-08 Luger .
During WWI some country complained the flat nosed TC 124 grain German bullet killed too well ... That's funny ... it killed too well in a war ... so they had to change to a more humane , less lethal "round nose" and drop the weight to 115 grains .

Personally .. I think the Round Nose is a poor choice in any handgun ...
the truncated cone cuts a cleaner hole and has the 147 gr. RN beat Seven Ways to Sunday ... Go with what works ...stop worrying about OAL .
I've tried all the shapes and the TC wins hands down ...even feeds better + more accurate .
Gary

The 124 gr. Truncated Cone was the original ammo designed for the P-08 Luger .
During WWI some country complained the flat nosed TC 124 grain German bullet killed too well ... That's funny ... it killed too well in a war ... so they had to change to a more humane , less lethal "round nose" and drop the weight to 115 grains .

The 124gr truncated cone FMJ was the original ammo for the P.08 Luger. And the velocity was 1050fps from the standard 4" (100mm) barrel.

The change to the 115gr FMJ happened before WWI, and note the RN profile is more "pointed" than most other cartridges "RN" bullets. Sources vary but agree the change to the 115gr bullet was done between 1908 and 1913. Velocity was upped to 1150fps.

Complaints made during WWI had nothing to do with the 9mm bullet change.
And, while the "new" standard was the 115gr, BOTH types were in use during WW I.

I cast a 125 gr. truncated cone bullet for the 9MM. Worked just fine in two 9mm handguns but wouldn't quite chamber in the number three gun, a Taurus PT99. Seating the bullet slightly deeper cured that problem and accuracy was unaffected in the other two gun. I also cast a 125 gr. round nose bullet for the 9MM but it is less accurate in all three guns.
Paul B.

I cast a 125 gr. truncated cone bullet for the 9MM. Worked just fine in two 9mm handguns but wouldn't quite chamber in the number three gun, a Taurus PT99. Seating the bullet slightly deeper cured that problem and accuracy was unaffected in the other two gun. I also cast a 125 gr. round nose bullet for the 9MM but it is less accurate in all three guns.
Paul B.
Paul ,

Are you powder coating those? or are you running a really light load sub 1,000 to reduce lead fouling

Why go to the heavier bullet?

I shoot 125-grain lead cast round nose bullets and after 35,000 have never had a problem.
for me, i can max the loads out and keep them subsonic. while I do wear good ear pro, not having a sonic boom still reduces noise exposure over all. I am also working on a trust to get certain muzzle accessories, hopefully early next year. and subsonic really helps with those.

for me, i can max the loads out and keep them subsonic. while I do wear good ear pro, not having a sonic boom still reduces noise exposure over all. I am also working on a trust to get certain muzzle accessories, hopefully early next year. and subsonic really helps with those.
Not to mention lighter recoil and better accuracy

Back