9mm barrel break-in?

bjm42

Just obtained new Kahr MK9 for CCW. Would welcome advice on barrel break-in. I know the formula for rifles, & wonder if same routine applies to handgun. Thanks.

Kahr recommends a break-in, but not a barrel break-in. By break-in, they just mean that you should put a couple hundred rounds through the gun before relying on it for self-defense.

There is debate about the practical value of breaking in a rifle barrel. Some manufacturers and experts recommend it while others say it's a waste of time, ammunition and bore life. But that's for RIFLE barrels.

As far as I know, pistol barrel break-in isn't advocated by any expert or manufacturer.

I have never broke in a barrel on any hand gun. They all shoot fine and hit the target once in awhile. I would just clean and lube the gun and blast away.

break in?

Break in? Just go shoot.
If a barrel has to be broken in, there is something wrong with the gun.
Pete

Thanks all, for the good info. After 40 yrs of shooting my S&W mdl 19 Combat Magnum, I am new to semi autos. Always learning, & this forum is a great resource.
Stay safe out there.

Yeah, just shoot 200-300 rounds through it to make sure it doesn't want to malfunction. After that you are good to go.

ftf

About shooting X number of rounds as a check on reliability.
A gun is a machine. It can malfunction.
Shoot 300 rounds with no failures.....maybe it will FTF on the 301st.
Any gun can malfunction at any time; there are no guarantees.
Pete

I think darkgael and Indawind make great points. Shooting the ammo carried is critical to make sure it works properly. Knowing that a failure can happen at any time with any gun or ammo also make it vital to practice clearing failures and recharging. That is the break in for any new gun IMO .

Last edited:
I always follow a procedure to break in a new rifle barrel, but have never bothered with pistols and revolvers. I've never had a handgun barrel that was particularly hard to clean, which is what the rifle barrel break in provides..and easy to clean barrel.

"...Break in? Just go shoot..." Clean it and go shoot.
Lotta stuff in the 'Prep your Kahr' post that should have been done by the QC types in the factory.
For example:
"to see that they are properly put together"; " issues with the slide lock lever hitting the rounds in the magazine".
Doesn't help that the poster can't spell either. snicker.

defense

In defense of T. O'Heir's post (not necessarily the snicker). His comment about the info on the Kahr site did contribute to the conversation in this thread. The point, as I understood it, was/is that at least some of what is mentioned as "break-in" at the Kahr site is actually gun repair, fixing things that are wrong with the gun, things that should have been tended to by the manufacturer before the gun left the factory.
I do not want to buy a brand new gun that I have to fix before I can trust it.
Example: When I bought my Colt Gold Cup, it was comp ready right out of the box. No quibbles. No adjustments. It worked and went many thousands of rounds before one of my handloads ftf'd.
Pete

I agree Pete. A new gun should come with a reasonable expectation that it is capable of doing what it was designed to do.

A reputable manufacturer has already fired at least a couple rounds through the barrel, and sends you the target results and sometimes the casings. I would suggest using semi- or full jacketed rounds to prevent lead build-up in the rifelings. Any new firearms many come with a protective oil in the barrel that needs to be removed before firing the first time.

Last edited:
Yes but . . .

Yes, I think barrels do break in. My anecdotal evidence is off-the-sand-bag accuracy that increases, but then we are talking rifles in that instance. However; there is no break in "process." Shoot the gun, clean it, take care of it and you are good to go.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

I just don't get it.

We buy a gun to shoot it.
Unless you buy it to run a cylinder thru it and then put it in the sock drawer for 50 years, we mainly want to shoot it.

So, we get a handful of shooters who complain because the factory suggests we put a few hundred rounds thru it to make sure it functions as intended but they are going to put a few hundred rounds thru it anyways because they bought it to shoot it. So why the complaints about having to shoot it?

I've heard the "reasons" why there are complaints but honestly, if you are going to shoot it anyways then just shoot the darn thing. If it proves to not function properly then send it back like you would do with any gun you have they didn't work properly for whatever reason. It happens with every make and model of gun. 200 rounds thru it, 2000 rounds or 20,000 rounds. If it breaks then it needs to be fixed. If you buy it (new or used) your intent is to shoot it until you are sure it's reliable enough for your personal standards.

Clean the gun thoroughly.

Got to Wally World and buy a 250 pack of UMC FMJ.

Shoot the crap of it and make some noise.

Go home and clean the gun again.

After this, the handgun will be broken in.

Back