9mm Ammo Choices

Wow! Necropost central. Ok, I'll play. For 9mm I like 124 gr. +P Federal HST, (try Kyles gun shop online for 50 round LE packaging)

Very close second choices are Winchester Ranger T, and Speer Gold Dot, ALWAYS in the +P versions for 9mm.

I carry the Speer Gold Dot 124gr "molecularly bonded" JHPs in my Ruger SR9C. Somewhere I have a photocopied sheet from the NJ State Police (my home state) with ballistics test data, this round at various distances fired from the HK P7M8 they used to carry. The ballistics impressed me enough that I.m sold on that round.

There is not a whole lot of real world results or OIS reports with Hornady self defense ammunition and for this reason I have tended to stay away from it since there are many well proven loads out there for the 9mm now. As far as the 147gr bullet loading for 9mm, there is nothing wrong with it given the bullet is of good design. They have a tendency to deflect less then lighter bullets of the same caliber. If you want to use a 147gr load I'd recommend Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Bonded off the top of my head. Here is a very good list of loads that have passed the FBI requirements. I would trust anything on this list without question. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

+1 on the WWB. If you need some rounds to get you buy, the Winchester White box is pretty decent stuff actually. When you get more money for 'better' ammo, the WWB also makes for a good practice round. The other round I like that has good performance and is still affordable is the Federal American Eagle. Similar specs to WWB. These aren't expanding SD rounds, but they are good rounds. And Federal Champion is my favorite practice round.

edit
----------------------------------------------
Oh man ... Thread is old as the hills! Just FYI.

Back