9 mm revolvers

Wild Irish--FWIW, an "Excellent" condition 547 will fetch $325-350 here...maybe a LITTLE more IF NIB w/all paperwork, accessories, etc...
Bernie--I believe that the 9mm SP101 has been discontinued by Ruger...NIB about impossible to find...I'd suggest looking for "previously owned" OR looking for a "Speed-Six" in 9mm...for whatever reason, THEY seem to be more plentiful right now....mikey357

There is also a j-frame version lurking out there. The one I have is a 940 (I think) hammerless Centennial stainless. It's the same size as the 38 Special. It packs a little more zing than the 38 and pretty close to the vaunted magnum in the 2" tube with the advantage of being a tad smaller than the 357 model.

The reason we are opting for 9 mm is that the stopping power is at least as good as a .38 special. Also, on a logisitical note, I am set up to load 9mm a lot more readily than the .38. Also, the used issue does not bother me, that is what I have been looking for. I just cannot find one at all. I did not realize the speed six was made in 9 mm. Would that be a 6 shot and are the moon clips easy to find?

Bernie,

That's reason enough! :D

Someone mentioned that the 9mm is less powerful than 38 Special, but I don't think that's the case at all. The 9mm can actually be hotter from a short barrel, with the same weight bullets. Check any reloading manual, and compare.

I recently saw some NIB 9mm SP101s on one of the gun auctions. Try a search there, and you may come up with one.

They tell me Ruger produces these on a periodic basis, and will probably distribute another batch in the near future.

The Service Six, and Speed Six were both chambered for 9mm I believe, and also the S&W 940, as BigG mentioned. The 940 is probably double actin only, but is usually smoother in double action than the Ruger, so it hardly matters.

Good luck with your search.

Bill

Yep, the California Premium

Mikey357, in my travels around and about, I've noticed California prices of whatever are invariably a few % points upwards just because an invisible line has been crossed. As for the J frames and Rugers being available in 9mm, the only examples I've seen have been in magazines. Methinks to be paying more attention in the future. . .

W.I.

KY Imports had NIB 9mm SP-101s as recently as this summer, but they sold out. According to a fellow over on the Ruger forum, Ruger says they make a run of 9x19 SPs every other year . . . though they don't catalog them.

I have a 940 - it's a handful (the 547 I shot back in the late '80s was much more comfy) but not uncontrollable. The first reasonably priced used SP-101 I see in 9mm, I'm buying. The 9x19 gives nice performance out of a snubby tube - better than the .38 spl. with up to 147-grain bullets. The small revos endow you with a lot more respect for the 9x19 cartridge than do the large autos, that's for sure.

SP101 9mm

I pick up a used one last month. It had been sitting on the shelf at the store for over a year, and I got a heck of a deal on it. It had the box, papers, and 20 moon clips. If the gun had been fired more then a box , I would be surprised.

I shot a "Q" course with it and cleaned the course, nice to have a backup the same calibre as my primary, and still have a revolver for a backup.

6mm

K-Y Imports is advertising the S&W 940 in VG condition for $260 in the latest Shotgun News. 2 1/8" barrel and it is where I got mine a few years ago. I am happy with it.

Back